Arctic Cooling CPU cooler fan quality

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dnewhous

Arctic Cooling CPU cooler fan quality

Post by dnewhous » Tue May 03, 2005 8:07 am

Does the fan on their CPU coolers have the same quality as that of their VGA coolers, i.e. - noisy? The review of their CPU coolers here is positive, but I understand Arctic Cooling likes ceramic axis fans which are quiet at first but quickly get noisy when used.

XepS

Post by XepS » Tue May 03, 2005 10:52 am

I have no direct experience with AC VGA silencers, but I do have an AC Silencer 64 Ultra, and I think the fan is the best fan I have ever used. I have had it for about 6 months now, and it is great.

If I crack open my case, and kill every other fan, I am hard pressed to hear the fan (at 100%) from more then a foot away. No air conditioning ruining my hearing, either. :) Quiet room, no other prominent sources of noise, and I can barely hear it. In fact, the only noise I can really hear from it is the sound of air moving over the heatsink - I hear no bearing noise, clicking, etc.. For all practical purposes, when the case is closed, it is silent.

I'm not sure about the fans on heatsinks like the freezer 64, though. The orientation is different, and it may have an impact on noise/wear/etc..

If you are considering a silencer 64, though, I highly recommend it.

adab721

Arctic Cooling

Post by adab721 » Sat May 07, 2005 6:51 am

I have to agree with Xeps...
I have been using an AC Freezer 4 on my 3.2mhz Prescott for about three months now and on low speed I can't hear it al all while it still cools my CPU to 35 degrees with exhaust fan directly above it also running a 5v

alglove

Post by alglove » Sat May 07, 2005 10:19 am

How long have you had your Arctic Cooling HSF, though? One month? Two months? A year? I, too, am wondering about the longevity of these fans.

wsc

Post by wsc » Sat May 07, 2005 10:50 am

I've had my AC fan on my CPU since November of 2003 and it still sounds great. Turning it off doesn't make my system any quieter.