OEM/Retail Athon XP/MP Heatsinks + Fan

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tobyz28

OEM/Retail Athon XP/MP Heatsinks + Fan

Post by tobyz28 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:10 am

1. Does anyone have any specs on what our OEM heatsink fans flow along with possibly a DBa reading? Bios reads around 4900 RPM and the fans on the heatsink are 60mm.

2. I have Dual Athon 2400 Mp's and am considering just upgrading the fans to a pair of quieter ones. The stock ones are a bit noisy for my tastes. BUT i would like to get something which flows close to stock.... to maintain the temp's im getting now. If anyone could recommend some great flowing, quiet 60mm fans it would be a great help :)

I do not really want to have to get a pair of heatsink/fan combo's unless absolutly necessary.

-Oh First Post on this board for me ;)

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:40 am

Do they have a copper base and skived fins like the Ajico MF-035 with the 2600+? if so then the original fan will output around 25dB official.

if its not, i donno. but i do know that a review of the MP 2400+ will come up with a name for the manufacturer of the heatsink and fan.

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:27 am

Well I did a tonne of looking for the specs on the manufacturer heatsink/fan combo with no luck :(

It looks like i'll probably be going to be looking for an SLK800U w/ an 80mm fan on it... But it seems like these are a few years old now and not really sold much. Is there a newer version of this heatsink out there that i'm not aware of? :)

I have a tyan tiger mpx board so I may be tight for space :

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx.html

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:52 am

tobyz28 wrote:Well I did a tonne of looking for the specs on the manufacturer heatsink/fan combo with no luck :(

It looks like i'll probably be going to be looking for an SLK800U w/ an 80mm fan on it... But it seems like these are a few years old now and not really sold much. Is there a newer version of this heatsink out there that i'm not aware of? :)

I have a tyan tiger mpx board so I may be tight for space :

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx.html
Age has nothing to do with suitability. It's not like your Athlon 2400s got hotter between then and now. :lol:

The SLK800 is a fine HS. I'd look for the one that uses clips for the 6 lugs on the CPU socket -- a much easier install than the U version, which requires the 4 holes around each CPU socket & removal of mobo from case.

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 am

AHEM <---looky here

edit: WELCOME ABOARD!!!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 am

warriorpoet -- yes, of course the SI-97 is very nice.... but having taken a look at his Tyan mb, space is indeed very tight. Maybe the Arctic Cooling socket A HSF is the biggest quiet HSF that will fit here.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article115-page1.html

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:35 am

Good point.

I think you may be on to something...

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:16 pm

warriorpoet wrote:Good point.

I think you may be on to something...
Thanks for the replys...
This is where I'm at so far :)

First thing I tackled was my video card, got an arctic cooler 3 for it. Works GREAT compared to the stock piece of crap (9800 AIW's dont have a lot of options out there :( )

Next I got some SilenxX case fans. They seem to be doing a good job, not moving as much heat as the old Antec ones but MUCH Quieter. With the help of the external exhaust artic cooler, i'm hoping internal heat wont be too much of an issue.

But I missed one thing! :shock:

(i'll try and get some pics later)
"Age has nothing to do with suitability. It's not like your Athlon 2400s got hotter between then and now"
- Well... actually it has now ;) hehe..

The Tyan board I have is TIGHT.... Because of the space constriction and the big ugly clip on the backside of my AGP card, my #2 CPU (it sits right above the AGP card) temps have increased a bit more than I would like. 55C during load, and higher if the room gets warm. CPU #2 was up near 59C last night :( This is mainly because of the arctic cooler! It has a big honking clip which gets real close to the CPU heatsink and creates a nice pocket of warm air right around the heatsink.

-Ive given up looking for just a fan, I've come to realise that a quieter fan won't do the trick of lowering my CPU temps any while trying to reduce noise at the same time .... Time to upgrade the heatsink to the best thats out there that fits!

I've been looking at the multitude of Socket A heatsink/fans... for some reason these Heat pipe ones scare the crap out of me ;) But I definatly AM going to look for some good reviews on their thermal performance of the ThermalRight SI-97A.

The Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 TC looks real promising though!

Has anyone heard of the nexus AXP 3200? Would be great if anyone has any input on it..
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... Technology

So heres my wishlist:
-Fits the board w. all the capacitors nearby, and doesnt touch the AGP Card 2-3cm away.
-Is not mounted using through the board mounting holes
-Moderatly quiet fan
-Keeps the temps in the lower 40's if possible

This site is great BTW! A site dedicated to not just performance but considers the acoustic implications as well!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:36 pm

tobyz28 wrote:But I definatly AM going to look for some good reviews on their thermal performance of the ThermalRight SI-97A.

Has anyone heard of the nexus AXP 3200? Would be great if anyone has any input on it..

So heres my wishlist:
-Fits the board w. all the capacitors nearby, and doesnt touch the AGP Card 2-3cm away.
-Moderatly quiet fan

This site is great BTW! A site dedicated to not just performance but considers the acoustic implications as well!
1) The cooling performance of the SI-97A is tops; that's not the issue -- FIT is.
2) AC Copper Silent 2 TC is cheap enuf to try. It might still be too big.
This version is slightly smaller, maybe. Has a copper slug in the base.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... %20Cooling
3) Forget the Nexus. Too loud & not cool enough.
4) you probably need to think about improving case airflow. What case are you using, with what fan config?

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:22 am

Case is an antec 24" Similar to (but not the same as) http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=61088

Two rear 80mm fans - Silenx, 500W 85% efficient PS (forgot the brand)., Two 80mm front fans (one at base of computer -antec 80mm, one infront of hard disks - Silenx 80mm)

No side ports for fans on my case though...

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:11 am

http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p6.htm#slk700

I think 80mm may be too tight of a fit...
what do you guys think of this? I think a 70mm should fit just fine!

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:18 pm

The AC copper silent 2 (similar to the one in Mike's link) I have on my Sempron 2400 works a treat and the fan is very smooth. Noticeable at full speed but not particularly intrusive, undervolts well down to at least 6V too. Cheap as well.

Can you undervolt your CPUs and control fan speeds on that board? Undervolting my Sempron made an enormous difference to the speed I need to run the fan - stock 1.6V Vcore and fan at 12V = 50C at load (Prime95), 1.375V Vcore and fan at 6V = 50C at load :)

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:15 pm

mattthemuppet wrote:The AC copper silent 2 (similar to the one in Mike's link) I have on my Sempron 2400 works a treat and the fan is very smooth. Noticeable at full speed but not particularly intrusive, undervolts well down to at least 6V too. Cheap as well.

Can you undervolt your CPUs and control fan speeds on that board? Undervolting my Sempron made an enormous difference to the speed I need to run the fan - stock 1.6V Vcore and fan at 12V = 50C at load (Prime95), 1.375V Vcore and fan at 6V = 50C at load :)
Already looked into undervolting.. the tyan tiger's Bios is the simplest bios i have EVER seen :) I cant even change memory timings in it lol...

No board jumpers either :(

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:17 pm

oh, that's a shame :( bigger/ more efficient cooler it is then!

HarvesterOfBeer

Post by HarvesterOfBeer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm

MikeC wrote:
tobyz28 wrote:But I definatly AM going to look for some good reviews on their thermal performance of the ThermalRight SI-97A.

So heres my wishlist:
-Moderatly quiet fan

1) The cooling performance of the SI-97A is tops; that's not the issue -- FIT is.
2) AC Copper Silent 2 TC is cheap enuf to try. It might still be too big.
This version is slightly smaller, maybe. Has a copper slug in the base.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... %20Cooling
3) Forget the Nexus. Too loud & not cool enough.
4) you probably need to think about improving case airflow. What case are you using, with what fan config?
I've been unable to track down a Copper Slient 2 TC. As far as I know they've stopped making them. The Copper Slient 3 aka Copper Light looks like the successor model, but appears to have dropped the variable speed fan. If anybody finds one for sale, please let me know.

I note that the AC Slient Fan 3 TC looks like it could be screwed on in place of the stock fan...sorta making a Copper Slient 3 TC. Anybody looked at that sort of mod?

-HoB

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:27 pm

A couple of these might work OK. Looks like they will fit, too. For $10 each, worth a try.
http://www.svc.com/spa04b4-u.html

tobyz28

Post by tobyz28 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:19 am

MikeC wrote:A couple of these might work OK. Looks like they will fit, too. For $10 each, worth a try.
http://www.svc.com/spa04b4-u.html
Wow - That actually looks perfect! The fan's also look replacable too...

It'll definatly fit processor #1 ok, but #2 by the AGP cards gona be tight. But looking at it right now, ruler in hand, I Think it'll just barely squeeze by :)

Heres some pictures to illustrate
The black mark is where i notched the clothespin @ 10mm
As you can see.. thats how little room I have to work with here.. haha

The heatsink looks like it'll clear the cap's just fine though!

Where in Vancouver are you from there Mike C? I'm just a bit NW of Metrotown, between willingdon and boundary.[/img]