I need some ideas about cm2 blue ice modification (solved)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gurkan

I need some ideas about cm2 blue ice modification (solved)

Post by gurkan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:49 pm

hi everrybody
this is my first post but i ve been tracking this site for quite long.

I think many people have some ideas about this CM chipset cooler (click on the pic for more info)

great with fan running at 12v but noisy as you know.
now i found a solution like that for silencing (click the pic).

NOW MY POINT. even I put a 12 cm fan close to the cooler, it is still pretty hot (38 celcius, as mb tells but much more hotter in real)
my opinion is that, it is probably due to the close line up of cooler fins. if I cancel each 2 of 1 -- 3 of 1 and adjust the distance between, can it decrease the temp.

thanks for your soon and kind replies ...

edit: solution found.
Last edited by gurkan on Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:31 am

no replies??

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Not if you SHOUT OUT THE TITLE and cross post....

BTW Welcome to SPCR! :D

Are you sure the temp reading is actually reading the NB temp and not somewhere else nearby? 38C is fine for an NB temp but I'm guessing it's a system temp sensor elsewhere.
Have you tried with that front fan switched off to change the airflow because the GPU card will be blocking your flow somewhat toward the CPU?

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:19 pm

ok my topic doesnt shout out anymore,
and i d be plzd if moderators colud delete the cross post topic :oops:

firetech thx for your reply, i thought a forum of a site like this would have more members to post about these kind of issues.

anyway,

the temperature reading is not normal, it is way more hot than it suggests, i put a digital thermometer nearby the core and it (thermomt.) shuts down as it passes 46 degrees. (in normal it measures human heat :) )
Have you tried with that front fan switched off to change the airflow because the GPU card will be blocking your flow somewhat toward the CPU?
do you suggest me to run the fan just above the mb cooler in the opposite way? the one far from the cooler has already been shut.

and again back to major question.

if i omit-cancel-cut some cooler fins of the cooler can it help to decrease the temperature, because the fins are really close and i feel that enough air cant pass thru. if i open the distance between more air will pass and more surface will disapate heat.

actuallty today i came across of thermalrights new chipset cooler HR-05
and it has the same structure that had passed thru my mind.

BTW anyone did this kind of operation, cos i need some masters to conceal workmanship about this :(

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be cutting any fins off!
I think the problem is that either that cooler cannot dissipate the heat efficiently by design or that the combination of your graphics card position and the two fans locations are providing a poor airflow path.

Can you move the CPU fan to the side of the cooler (blowing to the rear) rather than below it?

Looking at the photo it would appear that:
A. the graphics card is preventing airflow through the NB cooler toward the CPU fan in it's current location
B. the airflow from the front (HDD?) fan is getting sucked straight into the CPU fan and possibly not flowing through the NB cooler.
Do you smoke or have access to 'joss sticks' . I'm thinking you need to visualise your airflow and see if it is flowing through the NB cooler. It will need some sort of 'smoke generator/bomb' at the front of the case so you can actually see the smoke/air flow through the system. A see-through side panel would be handy too
Hope that makes sense! :lol:

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:14 pm

actually i only have these 2 fans in my case and my only problem is the nf4 ultra chipset.

the b. fan is not for the hdd, i found a way different solution for that and it works 52-54 celcius to 44-46 celcius and there is no fan near.

anyway back to the question, i put that fan(B) just for this d.mn nb chipset and also for cooling vga (btw the fatality vga heatsink is enough for x550, even there is no fan running near).

In conclusion, you are also right.
cooling heatsink from a far distance with more heatsink surface is less logical than trying to cool it w/o mod. but with more efficient ventilation.

So do you propose stg about that with these two fans not more than that :) what can be adapted?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:48 pm

First try the smoke test to check your airflow.
Then maybe move the CPU fan from the bottom of the heatsink (Scythe Ninja?) to the front side so both of your fans are blowing front to rear of case. Hopefully that will stop the airflow 'short-circuiting' and missing the NB cooler.
If all that fails, maybe the HR-05 is the next option :lol:

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:28 am

If I could find the hr-05 in Turkiye, I'd buy :)
ok I'll try the thing you say, but wont the temp go up as the fan gets far from the heatsink.

maybe if I move the far- B. - fan to the ninja (the surface where you suggest to put A. fan on)

ok I ll try both variations.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:42 am

gurkan wrote: but wont the temp go up as the fan gets far from the heatsink.
Not if you improve the airflow.
If you move ONLY the CPU fan (Ninja fan A??) to the front of the Ninja then the other fan (fan B??) will get a chance to blow the air onto the NB cooler.
At the moment I think Fan A is sucking in the cooler air from Fan B before it even reaches the NB cooler.
maybe if I move the far- B. - fan to the ninja (the surface where you suggest to put A. fan on)
Sorry all this fan A, fan B stuff is confusing me :?

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:13 pm

ok, I plan to build a cartoon duct for concentrating air flow.

if I use drawing 2, would it be more efficient or not ?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 pm

It can only help, give it a try :D

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:45 am

I gave it a try and I think it helped nf4ultra is milder :)

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:15 pm

Nice Work! :P
Good to hear it worked out. I think that moving the fan on the Ninja might have helped CPU temps too?

gurkan

Post by gurkan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:35 pm

not so much for the cpu (1 degree) but for the hdd (4 degrees)
BTW thanx for the idea, if I had modified the heatsink it could have been a headache :)

Edit: Perhaps MikeC may consider this as a DIY idea 8)