CPU Cooling advice needed over here! YES YOU!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnnyWakko

CPU Cooling advice needed over here! YES YOU!

Post by JohnnyWakko » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:31 am

Hi there

I'm not sure if coming across this site was a good thing, as now I have turned into a "silent pc" wannabe. I quit enjoy the thought of and am looking forward to silencing it...within reason $$$$.

I have gone from beige box, beige crt monitor, to Antex180b and 20" widescreen (yum yum). Found this excellent resourse of a site (SPCR) and as a result have became totally unsatisfied with my "no name" PSU whish was REAL loud (nearly louder than my sounds system) , so I bought my self an Antex NeoHE 430 today. Its' real nice, looks good, sounds good (can't hear a friggin thing from it) and its tidied my PC's entrails up nicely. See pics below.

After I put in the new PSU, I thought "You beauty, SILENCE AT LAST!!" But no, I discover that the CPU fan (intel standard) is now competing with the traffic on the main rood outside the house. GREAT!

Ok, so I start looking into silent CPU cooling. Problem is I don't know where to start. I have a number of guide, the FAQ on this site, but I am still confused as what to get and to be honest I'm a bit tired of doing all the research, so I am out on a limb and asking for for some pointers.

Please point me in the right direction of a CPU cooler that is; in order of priority:

1) Best performance for price. Ie I don't want the best one, as I would prefer the cheapest, but am willing to meet halfway. I'm a bit price sensative you see.
2) One that will not damage (weight perhaps) and will fit in my box. 478 socket.
3) One that will also fit my next upgrade in 6months, at this stage the Conroe (I think it is a 775 socket also)
4) The quiter the better. Obviously, otherwise I would'nt be here.

I refer to picture of my PC's entrails

ANy comment would be appreciated.

WaKKo
Last edited by JohnnyWakko on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:29 am

Go to Froogle and search "Scythe Ninja Plus", then refine the search to $34 maximum. You'll find a good compromise of performance and price. Perhaps not your best compromise, but perhaps worth considering.

With two nearby 120mm fans, its cooling is very good. Since there are no active parts (in other words, lose the fan) it has zero noise. It mounts on your P4 478 mobo.

The problem is predicting the future and the specific mobo you'll select for a Conroe: some of the mobos are springing up with lotsa copper plumbing running around that get in the way unexpectedly, so no guarantees can be made of hypthetical future mobo compatibility. But the Ninja, with or without the Plus, fits most of today's 775 mobos just fine, and comes with a 775 adaptor.

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Thanks Mr Carbon, I will have a gander.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

justblair

Post by justblair » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:36 pm

In the UK at least...

The **Cough** Thermaltake **Cough** Big Typhoon comes in at a very good price and is an excellent performer. 2/3rds of the price of the Ninja.

I understand that it costs a bit more stateside.

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks for the pointer, however I don't think it fits the 478 socket. good price though.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:23 pm

your being drawn into a viscious cycle. Next your fans will be too loud, then you will hear the monitor hum. ect. until you just shoot yourself to end all the *%*ing noise!!

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Don't stop a man on a mission!!!

You are right to a degree though. However, when I put my finger on the CPU fan, my system is as quite as I will get it. The ambient noise of the house and neighbourhood is louder than the PC, I'm happy with that.

So, CPU Cooler anyone?

Howard

Post by Howard » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Scythe Ninja Plus

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:48 pm

You could have a look at the
Thermalright XP-120 thats a bit older and so you might be able to find it a bit cheeper.

My next Hint is to go down this list untill you find a price you like

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:10 am

Thanks Bloater.

With all the advice and pointers, I have collected a range of coolers that fit my Ear drums, and my pocket.

Please comment on the following 4 choices I have nailed it down too:

1) AUS$47 Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu
2) AUS$49.50 Scythe Samurai Z

Will a fanless cool my 2.4ghz in my Antec 180b?

3) AUS$7.90 Zalman Northbridge (Fanless) Cooler ZM-NB47J
4) AUS$14.00 Zalman Northbridge (Fanless) Cooler ZM-NBF47

Comments appreciated.