Temperature monitoring software

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stu-77

Temperature monitoring software

Post by stu-77 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 am

Currently using SANDRA and core temp but they each report different temperatures.

The difference is about 5 degrees!

Just wondering what software people use that seems to be accurate. For some reason Motherboard Monitor doesn't work on my PC.

I just installed an XP-90 with nexus 92, using SANDRA I am getting 35 degrees with itunes running and internet browsing. I have an Athlon 64 3200 (Venice 939). Core temp puts it at about 41 degrees

JohnFL

Post by JohnFL » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 am

There are several other programs you could give a try.... SpeedFan is one that many seem to use, and the free version of Everest will give you temp info also.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:56 am

is there a comprehensive list of programs somewhere? I loved speedfan on my old av8, but with my AT8, it doesn't read system temperatures correctly, and it will only report one of my hard drives. I had to install HDTune(i believe that was the name) just to monitor the secondary drive temperature. the uguru software that comes with the board uses cpu time every few seconds, it's bizarre.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:33 pm

This list is pretty comprehensive although all the main utilities have already been mentioned.
I found MBM5 stuffed up my temp readings and stopped other monitoring utilities from working correctly too on my nForce 4 Ultra MB. I completely uninstalled MBM5, updated my nVidia drivers and all was well.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Sensor's View Pro........try it out for free. This is the best program of it's type....IMHO.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:00 pm

Bluefront wrote:Sensor's View Pro........try it out for free. This is the best program of it's type....IMHO.
It is a nice app but it's only free for 21 days then $20. The other popular ones (ie Speeedfan which may also control fans) are completely free.

crusadersrealm

Post by crusadersrealm » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:35 pm

where?wolf

Re: Temperature monitoring software

Post by where?wolf » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:52 pm

stu-77 wrote:Currently using SANDRA and core temp but they each report different temperatures.

The difference is about 5 degrees!

Just wondering what software people use that seems to be accurate. For some reason Motherboard Monitor doesn't work on my PC.

I just installed an XP-90 with nexus 92, using SANDRA I am getting 35 degrees with itunes running and internet browsing. I have an Athlon 64 3200 (Venice 939). Core temp puts it at about 41 degrees

You could try "Nextsensor". Also reads the northbridge chipset temp among many things.

http://cbid.amdclub.ru/html/download.html

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:42 pm

coretemp is nice, but I want a full monitoring suite like speedfan or mbm. Neither of those seem to work with my motherboard. That nxsensor thing doesn't seem to work either. Speedfan and mbm and it report all my system temperatures as either 48 or -48C...

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15 pm

ryboto wrote:Speedfan and mbm and it report all my system temperatures as either 48 or -48C...
have you uninstalled MBM and left Speedfan on it's own?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:55 am

Firetech wrote:
ryboto wrote:Speedfan and mbm and it report all my system temperatures as either 48 or -48C...
have you uninstalled MBM and left Speedfan on it's own?
yes i have.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

abit forums

Post by Firetech » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:27 am

OK must be MB specific then. Maybe worth a trip over to abit forums and ask around there if anyone is having similar issues.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:44 am

Coretemp reads from registers in the CPU which are fed by an internal diode. In the same register exists an correction value but I don't know wether is is applied.
Sandra probably reads out the SuperIO which also interprets the mentioned diode but should also applies corrections.
I'd trust coretemp more. And remember Tcase != core temperature. So your core temperature can get higher and you still are within specification.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Re: abit forums

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:44 pm

Firetech wrote:OK must be MB specific then. Maybe worth a trip over to abit forums and ask around there if anyone is having similar issues.
They aren't helpful, ever visited those forums? They're fine with using the uguru monitoring, I could ask, but most likely my thread will sit alone for a week, and then it will get a vague response. Usually if I have a hardware issue, they blame it on the power supply. If you don't have a 500W or more, that's all they do.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:16 pm

I want a full monitoring suite like speedfan or mbm
Have you tried Everest?

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:26 pm

jaganath wrote:
I want a full monitoring suite like speedfan or mbm
Have you tried Everest?
I have, but I can't remember the outcome...in the end I had to stop using it for some reason or another, I'll try it again to jog my memory.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:10 pm

where does everest report temperatures? that's what I want to see...I want to be able to access all of the information that speedfan reports.

edit: well I found out that I have the ultimate edition already installed. The reason I didn't use it was because it uses 19mb of ram, a bit more than the uguru monitoring program, and on top of that I can't seem to make the OSD hide once it's open.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:02 pm

where does everest report temperatures?
Click "Computer" then click "Sensor", should show temps.
on top of that I can't seem to make the OSD hide once it's open.
Can't it be minimized? I'm using Home edition, which may be different from Ultimate.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:15 pm

jaganath wrote:
where does everest report temperatures?
Click "Computer" then click "Sensor", should show temps.
on top of that I can't seem to make the OSD hide once it's open.
Can't it be minimized? I'm using Home edition, which may be different from Ultimate.
I guess I'll use it like that, where I have to go to Computer->sensor...the home edition only shows the temperature for one of my hard drives, but it shows it twice, the ultimate edition shows only one hard drive. Strangely, its the hard drive that speedfan wont see. The OSD can't be minimized, but the way you're suggesting, to just open the whole program to monitor the temperatures works...I just really really like how I can mouse over the speedfan icon and see my system temperatures, I really wish it would work. And speedfan uses 10mb less ram...

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:03 am

ryboto,

I've also had trouble getting most temp/fan monitor programs to work with my Abit motherboard. I think that there's a conflict with the uGuru chip. Sorry that MBM5 doesn't work with your MB. I like it very much (it supports the AI7). I was getting invalid data until I turned off the uGuru software, but I think you already said that you'd done that. You've had more success with Speedfan then me - I just get the HDD temps, and Everest wasn't any better. Sorry I can't provide a constructive suggestion.

Firetech wrote:
OK must be MB specific then. Maybe worth a trip over to abit forums and ask around there if anyone is having similar issues.

ryboto replied:
They aren't helpful, ever visited those forums? They're fine with using the uguru monitoring, I could ask, but most likely my thread will sit alone for a week, and then it will get a vague response. Usually if I have a hardware issue, they blame it on the power supply. If you don't have a 500W or more, that's all they do.
Yeah, there is a different attitude over there, but I have had some success with patience and perseverance (and just ignore some of the "traditional" advice they offer).