AMD Athlon XP 2600+, what can i use to really keep it cool

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bonestonne

AMD Athlon XP 2600+, what can i use to really keep it cool

Post by bonestonne » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:24 pm

ok, so i'm in the process of building a computer that will be used for music editing, video editing [possibly] and playing the sims. i'll be doing the editing, my sister wants to play the sims. i've already decided on the processor and board and ram, and i need to assemble it all, but i need help with the cooler. i've looked on newegg and can't find any incredibly suitable ones for the job. the processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ [at least it should be that one]. the board is the infamous Elite K7S5A pro...it'll run approx. 512MB DDR ram [if it works] and will be sitting in an Apevia X-Dreamer case.

what would be the best budget cooler for this system? by budget, i mean $20 or less. i've seen the small heatsink + fan things that run fans similar to the Cooler Master rifle fan [60x60x10mm, 4700RPM] but they're loud, and i know from experience that the fan blades break very easily. if all else fails, i'll get one, but with a CPU that will be running at around 2.0-2.3GHz, i really want it cooled. the fastest computer i own is a P4 1.4GHz willamette core..not much for speed, i know, but this system will replace the P4...the 2600+ is the processor of choice because its the fastest the board can handle. budget is the issue here.

thanks for any help, and if there are more tips on cooling it, i'm more than willing to hear. the board does not have the 4 mounting holes on it, so those heatsinks will not work.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:36 pm

I would suggest the Scythe Katana, but I cannot find it in stock anywhere anymore. It fits everything, and it should be able to handle that load.

http://www.svc.com/scktn-1000.html

Kremmit

Post by Kremmit » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:44 pm

Scythe Katana or Thermalright SI-97a are the best coolers available for that processor and a mobo with no holes. I know, because I recently did a ton or research on the subject and finally bought one of each for a pair of Athlon XP 2500. systems I found the Katana in stock at Newegg, and the SI-97a I think I got from SVC. I haven't built the Katana system yet, but the SI-97a is running in the system I'm typing on right now, and it's inaudible from my chair right next to the computer.

Neither falls under your $20 requirement, though. I don't know that you can get a good enough performer for silent operation at that price point. If you don't care about quiet, I'll sell you my old (incredibly noisy) heatsink dirt cheap! Otherwise, I'd suggest coughing up a few extra bucks for one of the above. Which one you pick should depend on your airflow strategy through your case.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:21 am

Katana is not manufactured anymore, besides Katana CU is much better I think. If you can find Scythe Kanata CU, which is also "dead" product, still sold but not made.

If you can find Scythe Katana CU, get that. You won't be disapointed.
Its not particularly cheap, 30 to 40$ but its well worth if you find it.

GlacialTech might have some good budget products, but the one I would recomend for Socket-A: GlacialTech SilentBreeze III, But I don't think its that well availeble in the american markets.

Edit: I just did some newegg search, Gigabyte might have answer for you, it even has potento meter with it. With slight undervolting noise should be acceptable levels and it should keep your processor running cool enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835128009

But basicly, you don't get good and silent cooler with 20$ You should double your budget for that.

Second Edit: Oh, there was potentometer with that HSF.

J. Sparrow

Post by J. Sparrow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:11 am

I've recently bought an Arctic Cooling Copper Lite for a meager 8.95 €. It's not the best, but it's well below the 20$ limit.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:12 am

You can probably find a Zalman CNPS-7000B-AlCu for around $25 or so. You can also do a fan mod with the fan of your choice if the stock fan is too buzzy (it wasn't for me initially, but then I got the craze). Many people use Nexus or YateLoon 92mm (slow speed) which are very quiet. I used a Scythe Kaze-Jyu fan that I had to mod significantly to get it to work.

It's very quiet now, with only a little bit of low-frequency growl at 12V. It's not audible with the case top on.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:12 pm

thanks for all the replies.

i was looking at the zalman as a big possibility, but my issue is a lack of mounting holes [the reviews i read said it needed them] and also that there are capacitors right next to the CPU, so i need to keep away from them.

Thermalright SI-97a. thats a possibility for me, i'll look into it and see where the cheapest one is, thats looking good. i know that the only noise in the case comes from the CPU fan [its old, and slowly wearing out, but i can't replace it, so i'm stuck.

the arctic cooling fan doesn't really give me much impression, although being quiet, its not effective cooling...i'd like asystem that idles under 40C if possible.

the gigabyte looks promising as well, i dont think i saw that when i searched for the coolers there. as soon as i get RAM and a new CPU, i'll make the choice.

basically out of what i've seen, the Gigabyte, Thermalright and Katana look promising, but price will be a deciding factor. i'm not sure when i'll get a processor, so it might be a while. leaving it to an older sister in college might delay it a lot.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Kremmit wrote: Thermalright SI-97a
Another good choice, in fact I am using one right now, but they seem to have gotten rather rare as well. Its a very capable cooler if you can find it.

ajemm

Post by ajemm » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:30 pm

I would try to pick up a Thermalright SLK-900A from an auction site. It's one of the best "clip on" Socket A heatsinks ever made.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:48 pm

bonestonne wrote:the arctic cooling fan doesn't really give me much impression, although being quiet, its not effective cooling...i'd like asystem that idles under 40C if possible.
I have the AC Copper Silent 2 which, according to Arctic Cooling, is performing on par with their Copper Lite heatsink. The CPU is an overclocked Athlon XP 2500+ and the idle temperature is below 40C. However, not only regarding cooling performance but from a noise perspective as well, there are of course better alternatives, at least if you are willing to pay more than $20.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:12 pm

DonQ selling an SI-97 for $20 over in the Deals subforum.

viewtopic.php?t=38794

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Also, as an aside to the whole heatsink discussion, I highly recommend S2kCtl--it will drop your idle temps at least 5, probably 10C. It's basically magic.