Scythe socket 775 mounting bracket problem: SOLUTION

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hexen

Scythe socket 775 mounting bracket problem: SOLUTION

Post by hexen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 am

ok this issue of a crappy mounting system for the socket 775 Scythe Ninja revB and Infinity is a consistantly reoccuring thread subject and needs to be put to rest with a solution!

so far i have found three popular work-arounds:

1. Scythe SCURK1 Universal Retention Kit & Backplate
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ure=Scythe

2. Thermalright HR-01 LGA775 Bolt Thru Kit
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607153

3. DIY solution using screws/nuts/springs
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=117054

as far as which solution works best?
i dont know (im trying to find out myself while the Ninja revB and I are sitting here patiently waiting for some comments)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 pm

More recently, there have been a few posts from folks with lots of Ninja Rev B experience saying there really isn't a problem as long as you properly seat the push pins.

This apparently involves mounting the heat sink with the motherboard outside the case, and pressing hard (especially on the fourth pin) until a second "click" is heard, then doing a visual inspection of the back of the motherboard to ensure that the pins have gone all the way through and "bloomed" on the back.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:14 pm

Hmmmm.... so the HR-01 mounting kit works on the Ninja. How does the Ninja attach? (to the mounting system?)

ghia

Post by ghia » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Just use the << Scythe SCURK1 Universal Retention Kit & Backplate >>.
I did and works like a dream. :lol:

hexen

Post by hexen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:27 am

angelkiller wrote:Hmmmm.... so the HR-01 mounting kit works on the Ninja. How does the Ninja attach? (to the mounting system?)
i was wondering the same thing.

im guessing that you just use the screws/springs and back-plate from the thermalright kit in conjunction with the ninja bracket (plastic pushpins knocked out)
but if im wrong, correct me please ;)

mdrnhl

Post by mdrnhl » Sat May 05, 2007 11:27 am

Anyone know where to buy the SCURK1 in the US?

NICX has ridiculous shipping rates (presumably because it might be in CA??) and Newegg seems to be perpetually out of stock. :(

I'm not having much luck looking around for it...

Edit: bestbyteinc.com had it for $9 with reasonable shipping. Yay! :)
Edit2: ...and then they called me and told me it was out of stock, of course. I picked up a Thermalright adaptor...looks like it might work with the Ninja's 478 connectors, but not sure about capacitor clearance on the DS3 yet.
Last edited by mdrnhl on Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

spacey

Post by spacey » Thu May 10, 2007 7:37 pm

ghia wrote:Just use the << Scythe SCURK1 Universal Retention Kit & Backplate >>.
how do you use the scythe universal retention kit with the ninja?

do you remove the push pins from that 775 bracket that screws onto the bottom of the ninja?

or do u use the socket 478 bracket combined with the mounting bars from the retention kit?

---

answered my own question, yes the last one is right. i just read the guide... the LGA775 solution essentially converts it to accept a socket 478 cooler.

hexen

Post by hexen » Fri May 11, 2007 2:39 pm

spacey wrote:
ghia wrote:Just use the << Scythe SCURK1 Universal Retention Kit & Backplate >>.
how do you use the scythe universal retention kit with the ninja?

do you remove the push pins from that 775 bracket that screws onto the bottom of the ninja?

or do u use the socket 478 bracket combined with the mounting bars from the retention kit?

---

answered my own question, yes the last one is right. i just read the guide... the LGA775 solution essentially converts it to accept a socket 478 cooler.
so u have to use the copper block/spacer in this configuration right?

spacey

Post by spacey » Mon May 14, 2007 9:29 am

yup. it definately adds a lot more pressure and i think that helps.

i'm using a lian-li v1100 plus. so the fan in the back of the case actually blows onto my ninja and it has a little duct or sorts. so there's no fan directly on the heatsink but i might as well be. its just more stable and less vibration with the fan on the case.

with that fan at max speed i get 25 deg idle but its not too quiet. even though i'm using a noctua. with the fan throttled down as low as possible i get about 30 deg idle. me likes :)

definately no regrets getting the ninja rev. b since i got the universal retention kit as well.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Mon May 14, 2007 10:57 am

Can any of you that use the Universal Kit with the Ninja REV. B post a picture or two of their setup? So we could have a good idea on how to mount it exactly? Thanks!

spacey

Post by spacey » Mon May 14, 2007 12:56 pm

yeah, i took pictures during installation because i thought people would like to see it. one word of caution though, the only reason the retention kit fit on my motherboard (asus commando) is because it doesn't have capacitors around the cpu. its got these other funny looking black cubes that are shorter, otherwise the universal retention kit might get in the way. pics will make more sense...

i'll try and get them up asap. kinda busy these days. getting married in less than 3 months :P

silentgear

Post by silentgear » Tue May 15, 2007 10:14 am

well i have bad luck with my last purchases.

buzzing OCZ 8800gtx
)got from anitec.ca

buzzing Corsair 620Hx
and also bad quality Scythe universal retention kit, copper block seems to have oxidized
)got from directcanada.com

The only good stuff I got are noctua nc-u6 and thermalright hr-05-sli.
)got from directcanada.com

The scythe universal retention kit copper block is needed if you are install ninja plus onto p5w dh deluxe or else the capacitor will get in the way.

I dont have a picture but all i can sum up is the copper block does not work well for me. I'm planning to get thermalright ultra 120 extreme when it's in stock... thermalright's quality does look very good.

the unit i got for noctua's nc-u6 has unpolished fins, though the heatsink works well nonetheless.

musa

Post by musa » Mon May 21, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi, can those who used the 775 mounting with the 478 clips and copper spacer confirm that the copper spacer is compulsory?

Is it because the hsf clips do not match with the retention mounting that's why a copper spacer is needed to correct the height difference?
Or it is solely just to increase pressure? Can I install it without using the the copper spacer?

I am thinking of doing the same thing with my Scythe Infinity on my Asus 680i motherboard

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Tue May 22, 2007 6:27 am

musa wrote:Is it because the hsf clips do not match with the retention mounting that's why a copper spacer is needed to correct the height difference?
Or it is solely just to increase pressure? Can I install it without using the the copper spacer?
That's exactly what I was wondering.... can we use the Universal Kit whitout using the Copper Spacer for a Ninja Rev. B or an Infinity?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue May 22, 2007 7:03 am

chienpourri wrote:can we use the Universal Kit whitout using the Copper Spacer for a Ninja Rev. B or an Infinity?
Obviously you can. How it would affect the cooling vs using the spacer is another question, one that I suspect would have diffrunt answers for diffrunt folk.

I think the question you intended to ask was, "Can you guarantee that if I don't use the spacer my temperatures will be unaffected vs using it? :D

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:54 am

Ok, well I ordered a E6420 CPU and Conroe1333-DVI/H mobo with 4 Gb of TWIN2X2048-5400C4. I will use a Ninja REV.B with the SCURK1 kit. Is there anything special I should know prior to put all this together? Thanks!

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:27 am

I've used the universal retention kit to replace my "missing" retention frame on my s939 board and Ninja. I ended up using the s478 clips rather than rely on 2 notches (the S939 clip).

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:37 am

In my experience with the Universal Retention kit, it doesn't play nicely with 775 boards and a Rev B Ninja Combo. Mainly because, once you change you 775 to 478 the bracket used to mount the ninja 478 styles, is even larger than the 775 bracket, thus making it even more troublesome to attach it. In otherwords it hits more resistors and such (this all depends on what board but most new ones have this problem ie P5B-DX)

The DIY solution is far better, but it's a DIY solution so it takes time and preparation lol.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:38 am

Hummm... I tought the Universal Retention Kit could be used the same way as a Ninja REV.A (that it included the same accessories...)

Take a look at the original Ninja accessories:
http://www.overclockzone.com/zolkorn/Ye ... Plus/4.jpg

To mount in a LGA775, you use the metal backplate (upper left corner) and the 2 metal brackets (lower right corner). There was no need at all for the black platic part...

Can't I just use the same setup with the SCURK1 kit and Ninja REV.B?

EDIT: Sorry, I think I got it... there is no matching clips on the current REV.B to fit the old way of mounting the HSF!!! It's been replaced with a push-pin frame... alternatively we can use a AMD frame or a S478 frame... So with the SCURK1 we're stuck using the black plastic S478 adapter (and probably the copper spacer).

They could have included the metal frame in the SCURK1 to go with the "old way" of mounting the ninja!

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:55 pm

i used a Ninja + SCURK1 kit on a P5B-PLUS with no problems. It cooled a E6320 at stock speeds to ~32C Idle.

My Rev B Ninja on a E6300/P5B-Deluxe is idling at ~42C... i will be changing it out to see if theres any difference soon...

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:19 am

I am about to receive my stuff today, can anyone put a pic of their Ninja REV.B + SCURK1? Please?