Coolermaster Aero 7+ and Aero 8 Silent?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hanu

Coolermaster Aero 7+ and Aero 8 Silent?

Post by Hanu » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:54 am

Has anybody had any experiences of these? They look very promising but how's the noise? Apparenly 7+ has a variable fan but Aero 8 hasn't, but on the other hand, the Aero 8 is bigger, 80mmx80mm. Also, is the cooling good at min? Thanks.

johnoh

Post by johnoh » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:57 am

I know about the Aero 7 and 7+, but what is an Aero 8?

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:54 pm

Heh, not too sure actually. No mention of it on Coolermaster's website, but Jimm's PC-store, a Finnish netstore sells it. It's 2€ cheaper than Aero 7+ and apparenly doesn't have adjustable fan. The fan is 80mm, though.
Might be an unofficial product, because Coolermaster says there's 70mm and 80mm versions of the Aero 7+, so it may be that....

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:17 pm

According to FrostyTech it ranges from not very quiet (38.6dBa) to vacuum cleaner (62.7dba)
FrostyTech wrote:The fan is loud, and draws a lot of current when the RPM is dialed all the way up.
And it's cooling abilities appear to be throughly average. Which isn't surprising, considering that the heatsink itself is a nothing special generic aluminum heatsink.

Oh, and do not "bump" your posts only 5 hours after posting them Be patient, it's Sunday afterall. It took me a whole 30 seconds to go find a review of that heatsink.

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:40 pm

I think Hanu might be refering to this one. Translated version ..........

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

WannaOC

Post by WannaOC » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:45 pm

I think they may mean the aero7 LITE which is the same thing just a aluminum heat sink fro mwhat I have seen. On the noise of one of the aero7 they are very quiet. Every review I have found said they are loud at full speed but I can say as I use one now it cools well and is very quiet at low - medium speeds. Even at high speed it is pretty quiet, I would say under 25db at full speed as my w/c fan is 30 at full speed and the aero7 is much quieter.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:20 pm

The FrostyTech is pretty clearly the Aero7 (although they call it the "aero1, the model number is that of the Aero7)

Is this the HS you have WannaOC? FrostyTech is pretty reliable in their reviews, i can't imagine their noise measurements being as far off as you imply.

I don't see much here to get excited about; The fan doesn't push that much air (less than an L1A) yet is noisier. And considering that you can buy something like an SLK-800 for the same price.....:lol:

WannaOC

Post by WannaOC » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:04 pm

That be it. :) The light version seems to have what looks like an aluminum heat sink on it or something, I haven't messed with it. If you are comparing it to an slk800 in cooling I would say the 800 is much better just becausse I haven't seen it beat yet except by a 900. The fact that they call it an "Aero1" leads me to wonder about the site in general, not meaning some reviews there aren't reliable as I don't know it at all it just makes me wonder.

I use the aero7 on my wife's comp (also my silent pc) and it works like a charm, granted it isn't overclocked at all like my own w/c setup so I am not sure of the cooling per noise ratio but it is very silent. The only thing I can figure they talk about noise is the unique sound it has but I would compare it to the sound of a 120mm fan imho.

Post by 1398342003 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:39 pm

There are several Aero coolers. Here's a list from CM:

Aero 7 lite : 80mm Fan, Alu with copper slug, Athlon
Aero 7 : 70mm Fan, Copper, Athlon
Aero 7+ : 80mm Fan, Copper, Athlon

Aero 4 lite : 70mm Fan, Alu with copper slug, P4
Aero 4 : 70mm Fan, Copper, P4
Aero 478 : 70mm Fan, Copper with Heatpipes, P4

-------------------------

The reason the Aero blowers are considered good, Rusty, is the higher air pressure they generate, and the lack of deadzone. I was talking to one guy who said that the deadzone of axial fans causes the hottest part of the HS to recieve the least air flow.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:50 am

So... is it quiet at minimum speeds? All reviews I've read say it's silent, but I don't trust any hardcore OCer reviewers, because they call LOUD fans QUIET. Their "silent" may not be that quiet...

Bah, perhaps I should finally give up and get SLK-800 with Papst NGL.

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:53 pm

I use the blower and think that it is quiet, but based on the total lack of responses to my last power supply mod post, no one else believes me.

lennyr

Post by lennyr » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:27 am

I just put one of these in day before yesterday. On minimal fan speed it is only audible with my ear right up next to it (case open, obviously). On max speed it is about as loud as the low-end aluminum and high-speed fan (forget the model number) Coolermaster HSF it replaced (i.e. very, very loud); however, even on max speed, the pitch of the fan's whine is low and much less annoying than other high performance fans I've heard.

On minimal fan speed it cools about as well as the leaf-blower-loud HSF it replaced (I run about 45 at load on an Athlon XP 1800+ at stock speed), and on high it cools much better (~41C).

The real beauty of this HSF is that when you run the fan at low to middle speed it is barely audible (much quieter than my Antec Truecontrol PSU), and cools very well.

One gripe is that it was a pita to install. The clip is a clever design, but it isn't intuitive. Once I figured it out, it was not so hard to deal with, but for a while I was wishing for the old screwdriver style clip.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:21 pm

Thanks guys!

p'jem

Post by p'jem » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:08 am

Just aquired an Aero 7+ for a system I was building for someone.

The copper heatsink's nice and it certainly has plenty of cooling power even at minimum speed, but unfortunately I also find it way too loud even at that speed.

The main problem seems to be bearing noise. I ended up swapping out the blower for a Panaflo L1A. Even at 12V the Panaflo was much quieter. CPU temps crept up one or two degrees but still very good.

DigiHotaru

Post by DigiHotaru » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:31 pm

I'm running two of them in my machine (see sig.) I was somewhat disappointed. They cool great, but are definately louder than I expected, even on the slow setting.

djhardkhor

Post by djhardkhor » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:57 pm

I've just bought an Aero 7+ as well. Unfortunately, there is a lot of mechanical noise from the blower. At the lowest speed, it has a growling quality, which is audible over my 2 panaflo L1A's @7V. Easily the loudest thing in the case now.

However has lowered my mediocre temps compared to the old no-brand Cu-based Al heatsink w/ 80mm L panaflo from close to 60C to 55C at load. Can't complain there.

I'll probably be swapping the blower out for another L1A soon, although the fan mount will make it hard to use fan decoupling mounts (those blue things) without a major procedure.

Oh, and one more thing to note, the m/b I have is the Asus A7V KT133 number, and there is a lone capacitor which makes it tricky to mount the heatsink. Probably board specific though.

djhk

Huma-Flow

Post by Huma-Flow » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:18 am

i wouldnt say the aero 7+ can be judged by defects yours may have. the blower is great and silent at low to medium speeds. it keeps my 2800+ at 41c at med so i wouldnt say it that bad at all would you?

djhardkhor

Post by djhardkhor » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:28 pm

Sorry, should have said that my sample is a bit noisy compared to Coolermaster's claims. I don't think I ever criticised its cooling performance, though. If you've read the earlier posts, a site which tests all coolers for acoustic performance hasn't rated the Aero7+ that well for noise.

One thing I've found (and again, this is in my setup) is that the quieter a system you have, the more obtrusive the loudest thing is. I probably notice the noise of the blower more because of the lower noise of other components. It's definitely not silent at low speeds in my case.

djhk

Huma-Flow

Post by Huma-Flow » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:25 pm

djhardkhor,

i get what your saying my friend just went to water cooling rig and the once silent hdd cooler became unbearably noisy as well as his thought to be silent case fans.