Kingwin RVT-12025 Installed

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CallMeJoe

Kingwin RVT-12025 Installed

Post by CallMeJoe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I finally mounted my Kingwin RVT-12025 Sunday afternoon, and thought I would share my experience.

The heatsink is nicely finished overall. The heatpipes are an impressive 8mm diameter, and the fins solidly mounted. The base is flat and reasonably smooth, with some fine lines approximating what you would have from lapping with ~800 grit paper. My one initial gripe is with the fan mounting; two of the push-pins for the Socket 775 mounts (and two of the screws I used for my ThermalRight backplate) are blocked by the fan, so I had to remove it before installing the heatsink. The fan is attached to the heatsink by four rubber isolators that hook over the ends of the fins and into a groove cut vertically parallel to the edges of the fins, and whoever attached the fan at the factory was rather careless. The mounts weren't hooked over the same fins on both sides of the 'sink, and the ends of fins were badly bent. It was just a few minutes work to straighten them, but it shouldn't have been necessary. The included instruction sheet has a serviceable illustration of fan mounting. IMHO, Kingwin would be well served to ship the unit with the fan separate.

I had to remove the motherboard (P5N-E SLI) to mount the 'sink. It was relatively easy, though I did have to remove my Noctua NC-U6 Northbridge cooler. There was no way to hook the rubber fan mounts into the fins with the Noctua in the way. I used Shin Etsu G-751 TIM, working some into the small voids between the heatpipes and the copper base and scraping the excess off with a plastic card. I then placed a line of G-751 on the CPU's IHS and mounted the 'sink. After attaching the fan, I remounted the NC-U6 and reinstalled the mobo in my Antec Solo case. It was a bit of trouble getting the 'sink in past the PSU brace. If the Kingwin were 5mm taller the heatsink fins would have hit the brace, and the ends of the heatpipes would likely have hit the side of the case. This is definitely not an option for a small case. It barely fits the Solo.

I'm running my E6300 @ 2.625 GHz (on stock volts), and after 4 hours of Orthos, my load temps (speedfan 4.32) have dropped ~4 degrees from what I had with my Sunbeam SW-CR-775; 48C CPU, 58C for both cores. This is with Q-Fan enabled, the 120mm Kingwin fan turning at ~625 RPM (silent). Temps would certainly be better if I let the fan spin faster, but I like the silence.

Conclusion: I'm quite pleased with my $30 purchase (Directron). Not the best of all possible heatsinks, but I think I have a great value cooler here.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks for your write-up. I was hoping to see your results since your earlier posts.

Sounds like a good common-sense way you handled applying the TIM to the surface with gaps around the heat pipes..

If your old cooler is the sunbeam cooler that I am thinking of, the fins are very closely spaced, and so it needs a lot of air. Beside the temp drop, is the new set-up considerably quieter?

Entropism

Post by Entropism » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Installed the Xigmatek version today, same TIM, replacing a Ninja. First off, is it just me or is that Shin Etsu REALLY thick? Secondly, I put a layer on the HSF, spread it as best I could, then put a dollop on the CPU. Temps went down about 3c idle, but at load, it went down about 10-15c. This is with a Yate Loon LED 120mm @5v. I'm seriously liking this HSF....

For the record, I'm running an E2140 @ 3Ghz (gotta love when a 90% OC is a BAD chip), 1.375v on an Abit IP35-Pro. I also have this with the Thermalright bolt through kit.

Edit: The Xigmatek version came without the fan installed, the mounts are in a plastic bag. One corner of one fin was bent, but it easily straightened out. I didn't even notice the bend until I was inspecting it for 2-3 minutes, it was that minor.

CallMeJoe

Post by CallMeJoe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:35 pm

VanWaGuy wrote:If your old cooler is the sunbeam cooler that I am thinking of, the fins are very closely spaced, and so it needs a lot of air. Beside the temp drop, is the new set-up considerably quieter?
The Sunbeam is the "Silent Whisper", linked here.

I think it's slightly quieter, but I had the Sunbeam fan throttled back to about 750 RPM. My rig may not be Silent, but I like it quiet and relatively cool despite my (admittedly not extreme) overclock.