Scythe Ninja Rev. A with AM2+?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Regression01

Scythe Ninja Rev. A with AM2+?

Post by Regression01 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Short question: Can it be done?

Long question: I've got old ninja on a socket 939 board, an MSI k8n-neo4f, and I'm about to grab something AM2 to go cheap quad-core with a phenom 9550 for audio work. According to the installation instructions on the scythe website, the same mounting hardware is used for 939 as for AM2... so any reason I can't just transplant the mounting from the 939 board onto the new one?

Longtime lurker on this board. It has answered many questions for me without me having to ask. Thanks friends.

-nick

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:36 am

Welcome To SPCR

I have a Rev 1 Ninja, and I will have to get a mounting kit if I want to mount it on anything else, as the Rev.1 uses Socket 478 Mounting only, but comes with a Socket 754/939 adaptor.

However the S754 and S939 have 2 mounting points through the board, whereas Socket AM2/AM2+ have 4 holes.

I am not sure the mounting kit you would require, as I couldnt find it on Scythes website, if you find out what it is please post it.

Andy

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 am

Hey all, saw this and had to poke around.

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-am2-adapter.html

that may be what you're looking for, but i can't really tell from the pics. while its designed for a waterblock, it's still converting to a 478 mount, so you may need a shim, you may not.

Regression01

Post by Regression01 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Appreciate the replies! Well, I tossed an email to the scythe support address and got the following back this evening:

We do not carry any retention hardware that will allow the SCNJ-1000 to
mount on AM2+ motherboard,
However, ThermalRight currently sells this item:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... ight%2bAM2
Which will allow the mounting of SCNJ-1000 on a AM2+ motherboard.
I hope this solves the problem you are currently having :)

Taking a look at that page and then taking a look at the msi k9a2-cf on newegg show something rather interesting --- looks like this thermalright part is identical to what's already on the motherboard. So the entire situation with the two screws vs. the four screws may not be relevant as the motherboard comes with the parts to solve that issue.

We'll see shortly...

-nick

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:41 am

I believe that there has been a misunderstanding.

That item.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... ight%2bAM2

Is a standard AM2 mounting thingy, and it is identical to the one that ships with every AM2 motherboard, but it wont allow you to attach your Ninja rev A to your AM2 socket.

Here is the original SPCR review is the bracket that comes with the rev A Ninja.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page3.html

It, as you will see has screw holes at either end in the middle, which the AM2 socket does not have.

Basically, that item they have told you about wont work with a rev A Ninja.

Andy

silence

Post by silence » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:24 am

They gave you the wrong model of Thermalright adapter.

The Rev. A. adapter from Newegg does not have tall-enough clip adapters for the Ninja's spring clips. However, the Rev. B adapter available elsewhere DOES mate perfectly with the Ninja, and I have used this combination personally in the past. Example:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-AM ... -3483.html

andyb, if you re-read his post you will notice that he is moving from s939 to AM2, so the adapter he listed will mount up to the motherboard, but as I stated above it will not work specifically with the Ninja.

I hope this helps, and that you have yet to order anything....

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:03 am

I can confirm that the AM2 RM (retainer module) RevB can mount a Ninja A because I have one so mounted. It took me ~15 minutes of hard work. I also have a Ninja A mounted on an AM2 RM RevC and it took me about a minute. The revC can be purchased at Heatsinkfactory.com.

The problem is, the four 478 mounting hooks on the various adapters are NOT all the same size, and none of the Thermalright adapters are as large as the RM that came with the Ninja A (but is, alas, incompatible with the AM2).

I posted on this subject a few months back, although it was focussed on the XP-90. viewtopic.php?t=43975&highlight=am2++revc

edit: fixed typo, added url

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:08 pm

On a side note, i tried to mount a Mini Ninja on a thermalright rev B module and it did not fit. The 478 clip base was too large and the AM2 bracket isn't square like the 478.
Don't ask my why i needed to do that when the Mini Ninja has an AM2 clip, i can't get that piece of shit to clip on the first level, and second level was too loose.

Regression01

Post by Regression01 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:47 am

I have gone ahead and ordered parts including a thermalright AM2 rev B because I couldn't find the rev C in stock anywhere. I will post an update to conclude the saga when the stuff gets here...

Regression01

Post by Regression01 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:05 pm

...and the AM2 Rev B is the winner. It did require a bit of force but nowhere near what the stupid Intel push-pins took last time I tried that. So. K9A2-CF + AMD 9550 + Ninja rev A is a success! Thanks guys.

-nick