Samurai Z (Rev B) or Freezer 7 Pro?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

samtek

Samurai Z (Rev B) or Freezer 7 Pro?

Post by samtek » Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

I'm a long time reader or this site and its forum and have recently embarked on my silent pc journey. I got an Antec Solo to replace the horrible case I had before and its greatly improved the noise level of my PC. However I've got the silent bug and want to replace my VGA and CPU cooler. I've got a Core 2 Duo e6300 and am using the stock intel cooler at the moment and am at 54 degrees (nearly idle) with no overclocking!

I've narrowed down the replacement to the Scythe Samurai Z and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. They are about the same price here (UK) and I can't see much between them. Which would get the better results in my Antec Solo?

Also, do you reckon that the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2 VGA cooler will be ok in my case with a GeForce 6800XT? It has no fan and the heatsink will be underneath the card so won't get brilliant airflow. If not I'll just get the X1 which is about the same price but has a fan.

Thanks in advance

edit: While I'm here. Should I bother getting a 92mm intake fan for the front of the case? I have two hard drives but they run quite cool (35 and 29 degrees at the time of writing).

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat May 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Not sure about the CPU coolers, havnt used either.
But i do have an Antec SOLO and use a Accelero S1 on my 7900GTO passively, and my temps are still much lower than when using the stock heatsink that came with mine.
I do have intake fans (3 in fact, for positive airflow goodness and because i had some going spare), the 2 92mm ones are both Scythe Kama-Flex at 5v. I recommend at least one intake fan (Put it in the bottom mount, lines up nicely with the S1) and undervolt it to keep it quiet. Your 6800GTX will not produce much heat, so it should do ok with no intake if you want, just make sure you keep an eye on the temps.

samtek

Post by samtek » Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm going to go for the S1 then and get a 92mm Antec Tricool fan, because they're quite good, only £5 and have a built in speed controller. Still not sure about the cpu cooler yet but I'm leaning towards the Scythe. I can't buy any of this for another two weeks anyway so it's hardly an urgent decision.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Sat May 31, 2008 2:30 pm

I've got the Samurai one on an AMD system, so different mounting system, but it seemed easy to install and relatively quiet. I can't say I noticed a big difference from the stock fan in terms of sound because ever since I had a motherboard fail when I had my case fan on low I'm paranoid and have it set alot higher now, which means I can't tell how much better it is due to my case fan being so loud.

samtek

Post by samtek » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:47 am

Any more commends on the two cpu coolers?