HR-01 Plus equiv/replacement on vert mounted mobo?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ListysDad

HR-01 Plus equiv/replacement on vert mounted mobo?

Post by ListysDad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Need some advice please.

My pc sits just 30cm from my right rear and is quiet enough that typing is much noisier than the system - even with 5 fans and 6 hard drives squeezed into an Antec Solo :twisted:

However, I've decided that I'd like a tower CPU cooler to rid myself of the CPU fan. I have enough air flow through the case as two 120mm fans blow into and over the HDs and the system fan and PSU fan take that air out. The CPU sits just behind the system fan.

I'd decided on a HR-01 Plus but that seems to be discontinued here in the UK :?

I was attracted to that cooler due to its high effeciency at very low voltages - should I be forced to put a fan in!

I'm concerned that a heavy beast may damage the mobo which is mounted vertically.

Advice folks please!

walle

Post by walle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi
From what I understand the HR-01X (XEON) and the HR-01 PLUS are exactly the same, only difference being the mounting hardware they are shipped with.

I was able to find one at Scan.

Edit:
For some reason I couldn't link directly to the cooler.

ListysDad

Post by ListysDad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks Walle

Unfortunately they only have the Ultra 120 Extreme for an AMD cpu and that doesn't perform as well at low air flows.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

The HR-01X is listed under Intel coolers. same cooler Listys, you just need the mounting hardware for your socket.

Classic Thermalright stunt. renaming the coolers when all that differs is the mounting hardware for the socket itself, not the actual cooler.

I've rechecked it, HR-01 Plus and HR-01X...same cooler.

Edit:
You need the Thermalright S-clip or better still, the Thermalright AMD Socket AM2 / AM3 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2

So -----> the HR-01X together with the S-clip or the AMD Socket AM2 / AM3 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2

...and your green to go.

I should perhaps point out that I do use the HR-01 Plus myself. for both my systems.

ListysDad

Post by ListysDad » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 am

Thanks Walle. I've emailed Thermalright distributors in the UK to see the cost of the AMD kit. Fingers crossed!

walle

Post by walle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 am

You're welcome Listy.