Scythe Ninja Mini & AMD Sempron 140

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

petieken

Scythe Ninja Mini & AMD Sempron 140

Post by petieken » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:06 am

Is it possible to achieve passive cooling with this combination, combined with a slight cpu undervolt if necessary?

Trav1s

Post by Trav1s » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 am

I believe it is, especially with good undervolted case fans. I am doing this very thing with a 4850e.

petieken

Post by petieken » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:39 am

How are your temps with the 4850e passive cooled? Is the cpu undervolted too?

I was thinking about building a completely passive system with a picopsu.
I have a Lian Li Q07 case (which has air vents all over the place) so any noise produced inside WILL escape this case. I also have a J&W 780G minix motherboard, 4GB DDR2-800 and a 5400 rpm laptop drive. Currently it has an old (and slow) Sempron 3000+ (65W TDP) in it with a stock AMD Phenom II cooler, which is pretty quiet, but I want silent and faster :D.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:21 pm

petieken wrote:I was thinking about building a completely passive system with a picopsu.

I have a Lian Li Q07 case (which has air vents all over the place) so any noise produced inside WILL escape this case. I also have a J&W 780G minix motherboard, 4GB DDR2-800 and a 5400 rpm laptop drive. Currently it has an old (and slow) Sempron 3000+ (65W TDP) in it with a stock AMD Phenom II cooler, which is pretty quiet, but I want silent and faster :D.
If you are going with a picoPSU, you can fit a Thermalright HR-01+ in the Q07 - but I don't think it will orientate the 'right' way in an AMD system. The Ninja Mini would be a good choice. However, I'd suggest leaving one low rpm fan on the CPU and undervolting it to 5V, as it will make a difference to your CPU temps without really adding any noise.

My main system is built into a Q07 (link in my sig - apologies in advance for the bad quality pics) so feel free to PM me any questions.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 pm

JamieG wrote: If you are going with a picoPSU, you can fit a Thermalright HR-01+ in the Q07 - but I don't think it will orientate the 'right' way in an AMD system. The Ninja Mini would be a good choice.
I am thinking about doing something like that "Thermalright HR-01+ in the Q07". What do you mean "I don't think it will orientate the 'right' way in an AMD system"

gvblake22

Post by gvblake22 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 am

I just nabbed myself a Scythe Ninja Mini and I'm running it passively on a stock Core i5 750 without issues. The case is a Lian Li PC-101 mid tower modded with one 120mm Yate Loon intake (at half speed) and two Arctic Cooling 120mm "Arctic Fan" as exhaust (also set to about half - 3/4 speed. Temps never go above 55º when gaming or whatever. I tried turning all the case fans off and it hit 60º pretty quick and was still creeping up, so the extra airflow (even if it is low) helps a lot.

I'd expect you would have absolutely no problem with a little Sempron 140.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:13 pm

ces wrote:
JamieG wrote: If you are going with a picoPSU, you can fit a Thermalright HR-01+ in the Q07 - but I don't think it will orientate the 'right' way in an AMD system. The Ninja Mini would be a good choice.
I am thinking about doing something like that "Thermalright HR-01+ in the Q07". What do you mean "I don't think it will orientate the 'right' way in an AMD system"
See the comment in the middle of the page about the AMD mounting direction in the SPCR review of the HR01+. I don't know if this has changed since the review or whether there is a revision or separate AMD version of the mounting system available so that it mounts the correct way (facing the rear exhaust fan) on AMD motherboards.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm

JamieG wrote:See the comment in the middle of the page about the AMD mounting direction in the SPCR review of the HR01+. I don't know if this has changed since the review or whether there is a revision or separate AMD version of the mounting system available so that it mounts the correct way (facing the rear exhaust fan) on AMD motherboards.
Cut a blow hole out the top, use the Thermalright duct that fits onto the the HR-01+, let convection move the air up and out, and give it a little push with a 500 rpm Scythe GT or S flex fan.

Of course you have to give up the internal optical drive. But how often do you need that? Most people can live with an external one.

How does that sound?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:05 pm

My comment was just a little bit of a warning for you and was not intended as a criticism or anything like that.

Your duct idea would probably work fine. In fact, given how open the side of the Q07 case is, it may not be necessary depending on what processor is used.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:25 pm

JamieG wrote:My comment was just a little bit of a warning for you and was not intended as a criticism or anything like that. .
None taken.

It does seem that one solution is to use Intel. I have a MicroFly. It's sort of the the Aprevia Qpack2. I was thinking about using a 775 socket with the HR-01 sideways. I cot out a little bit of metal and seems like it should work fine.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:45 am

shey wrote:Scythe Ninja Mini???? It's my first time to hear that.
AKA "Minja"

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 pm

ces wrote:
Means the airflow pattern,fins align 90 degrees "different" which,if there's not much fan support and venting is everywhere...might not matter much.

Semprons tend to run pretty cool. I'd STILL look to door mount a single 250 mm fan downspeeded to 300-400 rpm. Blowing air,even slowly,at the whole CPU/mobo in a semi open case should keep heat build up minimal. Mounting the HDD "soft" with perhaps a little baffle or heatsink plan to further reduce it's sound,while keeping heat down should help. If the socket is AM2,not AM3,you can even use the full Ninja.

With goodies like the Zen fanless PSU and SSD's now down to $130 for 64GB,I'm thinking a full passive "no moving parts" puter is now pretty doable. Technically...I'd have a big HDD(storage) in an external enclosure on eSATA....but that can be 6' away and pretty quiet. I'd probably mount a low RPM 140 mm,switched,so if it's a hot day,I don't need to worry.
Obviously.....The fanless PSU should be mounted external on top of the case.

I also have thought about a handbuilt case,a tower/chimney where rising heat exiting at the top gives some natural draw of air in from the bottom,a convection thing. In that, the full size storage HDD could live in the bottom,putting it's sounds at some distance