Megahalems cooler physical support?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anatorax

Megahalems cooler physical support?

Post by Anatorax » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi, guys!

I have gotten a Megahalem cooler recently and installed on my mobo. The thing looks awesome, badass and heavy. I have a Gigabyte 790XT-something Mobo and I wonder if I need something to support the cooler so that it doesn't damage the mobo with its weight. If I push it up with my finger it moves like 1 mm or so. (Does it mean I have to tighten the screws, maybe?)

If yes, what would be the best way? I tried to pull it with a thread, but I cannot find a good way to fasten it, so that it would actually hold the heatsink and not just hangs.

BTW, after the HS is set on the CPU, the thermal paste is supposed to cover most of the CPU-HS surface or just some spot in the middle?

phoenixrage

Post by phoenixrage » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:56 am

I have my megahalems on pretty tight, the screws are spring loaded so I went until the screws stopped. But this is on an intel board, so I am using the provided backplate. not sure how it is on the AMD mounts, but mine does not move at all.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Megahalems cooler physical support?

Post by MikeC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:56 am

Anatorax wrote:If I push it up with my finger it moves like 1 mm or so. (Does it mean I have to tighten the screws, maybe?)

BTW, after the HS is set on the CPU, the thermal paste is supposed to cover most of the CPU-HS surface or just some spot in the middle?
If you have tightened all the screws as far as they will go, then the hs should be fine. Any damage will only be caused by shock -- ie, dropping the pc while in transit, for example.

As for the TIM, it should cover the entire top. If it's done right and there is adequate pressure between HS and CPU, when the HS is removed, there should be much less TIM in the center and more around the periphery. Lots of TIM in the middle means there's a gap in the contact between the two surfaces, which is not good.

Anatorax

Post by Anatorax » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:54 am

Then it seems I am fine.

Thanks a lot!