AMD recommendation for A64

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zak

AMD recommendation for A64

Post by zak » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:54 pm

From what I've read in AMDs information for the Athlon64, too much paste is bad because it will flow out and contaminate the socket. Nothing else.

They actually recommend a 0.05 mm layer if I remember correctly. This is 'paper-thin' - but if it would not be pressed out it would be toomuch actually.

I guess this applies to the recommended paste. AMD warns about using thermal pads, as these would glue the heatsink to the CPU, which could damage the CPU or the motherboard when trying to get the heat sink off. I guess that is a danger as well if a very stiff paste is used.

BTW AMD recommends using a twisting motion to 'break the bond' between heat sink and CPU - on theA64 with heat spreader that is.

Thomas

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:43 am

Where did you get this information? Last I checked AMD has never recommended thermal paste for their processors, but that may have only been applicable to XP series of processors (though their warranty doesn't specifiy brand model).

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:21 am

Since I do my homework when considering a new system, I have the links to the AMD recommendations.

This link is the only one which addressed the Athlon64 heatsink/cpu interface (at least that I could find):

Athlon64 thermal design guide (see pg 33)

As one can see they recommend the use of "thermal grease" as opposed to "phase change thermal compound". This is in direct opposition to their previous recommendations for the AthlonXP socket A CPUs:

socket a instructions (see pg 8 )

Athlonxp builders guide. (see pg 9)

Processor and Heatsink Installation Videos (see "thermal pad or paste?")

....grease? compound? pad? The manufacturer can't even make up their minds! :shock:

zak

Paste versus pads

Post by zak » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:02 am

AMD 'changed its mind' because of the heatspreader and the socket.

The XP chip is easily damaged. Using a pad helps to protect the chip.

The A64 heatspreader is bigger. A pad will glue the heat sink to the heat spreader. Removal of the heat sink would need a lot of force. And the A64 socket is small, and is soldered with solder balls to the motherboard, like a GPU of chipset chip is.

AMD also specified the clamp force for the hat sink pretty high. This is to ensure that in case of shock, the socket will not be pulled from the mainboard.

Thomas