SLK-900A & Fan Combo

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ajemm

SLK-900A & Fan Combo

Post by ajemm » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:53 pm

Hi guys this is my first post. I recently changed my HSF from an Artic Cooling Copper Silent TC to an SLK-900A w/Panaflo 80mm "L"(my temps went down 10°c :D) . Are there any 90 or 92mm low RPM fans with RPM sensing that would be as quiet or quieter than the 80mm Panaflo? I would like to use the Fan control built into my mobo, so the fan has to have RPM sensing.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:51 am

I think nexus has a 92mm fan with rpm sense, but i think it is really slow and not a good choice for cpu cooling.

Also, there are the 92mm panaflo M1BX, but they are not quieter then the 80mm oanaflo L1A
~RaNDoM

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:10 am

Papst has a quieter 80mm fan though it does not move as much air as the L1a.

SilenX 80mm fan is much quieter, however it does not move as much air and it does not have RPM sensing.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:39 am

I've got a papst 3412N/2GL on my 900U, which I got from sillicon acoustics (expensive!). I think it's pretty quiet, but there's really no way to compare my standards to yours.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:40 pm

You can not use the Nexus fan that RaNDoMMAI mentioned in combination with the fancontrol build into your motherboard. The Nexus 92mm fan has a RPM wire on a three pin connector, but it is powered via a 4-pin molex pass through connector.

Have you tried the fancontrol without the RPM sensing? Fancontrol adjusts power to the fan according to the temp of the CPU. It doesn't always need the RPM signal.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:06 pm

Tibors wrote:You can not use the Nexus fan that RaNDoMMAI mentioned in combination with the fancontrol build into your motherboard. The Nexus 92mm fan has a RPM wire on a three pin connector, but it is powered via a 4-pin molex pass through connector.

Have you tried the fancontrol without the RPM sensing? Fancontrol adjusts power to the fan according to the temp of the CPU. It doesn't always need the RPM signal.
my bad, i thought only the 120mm nexus fan was like that.

just use a 92mm panaflo l1A, me and ralf both dont need rpm sensing.

~RaNDoM

ajemm

Post by ajemm » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:22 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the Panaflo M1BX (if I can find someone that has them in stock :()
swivelguy2 wrote:I've got a papst 3412N/2GL on my 900U, which I got from sillicon acoustics (expensive!). I think it's pretty quiet, but there's really no way to compare my standards to yours.
I guess my reference is my Arctic Cooling Copper Silent TC. It is veeery quiet. With the thermal control the fan was usually between 1300 & 1800 rpm. The 80mm Panaflo I have on there now at full speed is louder but I can live with it for 10°. I figured a nice quiet 92mm with my mobo fan control would move enough air to keep my temps similar. (32-34° @idle).
Tibors wrote:Have you tried the fancontrol without the RPM sensing? Fancontrol adjusts power to the fan according to the temp of the CPU. It doesn't always need the RPM signal.
It works with all my fans & heatsinks except Panaflos, so I assumed it was the lack of RPM sense.

BTW anyone know anything about this fan? " Silent Cat" Is 21 dBa @ 2500 rpm possible?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:28 pm

ajemm wrote:BTW anyone know anything about this fan? " Silent Cat" Is 21 dBa @ 2500 rpm possible?
At least once a week somebody asks if the Thermaltake fans are really as silent as Thermaltake says. And the answer still is:

...................Thermaltake lies

This is not the first time they do that and probably not the last time either.

If I compare the design of the multi-directional air intake to the way a Zalman 7000 HSF works, then it wouldn't surprise me if the airflow through the side of the fan goes in the opposite direction as Thermaltake says.