Motherboard with built-in ducting.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Motherboard with built-in ducting.

Post by Bluefront » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:54 pm

Anybody seen this Jetway MATX board from Newegg? Give you any ideas? Like lose the little fan and use the built-in duct for an unusual CPU cooling project......heh.

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:35 pm

There are a couple like that...... funny thing is that 80% of the boards with the same chipset don't have the fan. Another prime case of "lets add fans so it looks like it goes fast" attitude.

chucuSCAD

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:41 pm

With the right heatsink.....

But boy, that's a tiny hole to be pushing the air through.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:43 pm

Abits IC7-G Max3 is a Intel 875 based board with ducting.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:20 pm

Um.... Isn't that area where the voltage regulators are, and wasn't it shown that the VRs tend to get really friggin' hot?

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:32 pm

ABit also makes a few with that sort of duct. Personally I think it's STUPID, because most ATX cases have NOTHING for that little fan to blow out.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:58 pm

sthayashi wrote:Um.... Isn't that area where the voltage regulators are, and wasn't it shown that the VRs tend to get really friggin' hot?
Lacking in hard facts, but... My vanilla IC7 does not have the OTES fan/duct. The mobo reports VR temp, and Abit says that anything up to 100C (!) is okay. Even with my low case airflow, I've never seen anything above 50C. I'm sure an OCed Presscott would push it a bit harder.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:51 pm

You do need to cool the mosfets when heavy oc'ing. (or just playing with preshot). The only thing is... those 40mm fans... will make noise...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:20 am

acaurora wrote:ABit also makes a few with that sort of duct. Personally I think it's STUPID, because most ATX cases have NOTHING for that little fan to blow out.

The motherboard comes with a custom I/O sheild with an appropriately sized hole.

What BF was hinting at was not using it to as-is to cool the VR, he's thinking about using it as a case-independent way of ducting the CPU.

And yes, forced air cooling of the VR circuitry is strickly reserved for those niave enough to be easily impressed by marketing hype, or "hardcore overclockers" (I not sure which is the greater insult) Speaking of which, I wonder if I can get that shroud to be UV reactive, with a couple of LED's in the 40mm fan! :wink:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:18 am

Remove the fan and ducting, construct your own ducting, find agreeable heatsink to enable you to blow the air across and out the hole.
Just like I've already done by and large. :D Works a treat for low flow, therefore quiet, effective cooling and then discharging it out the back so as not to heat anything else up.

I simply removed the input/output shield/plate to see if it works, with the intention of hacking the case if the results were OK.... Spose I really ought to get round to hacking the case... :oops: but it's only been like this for 3-4 months..... no rush..... :roll:

Quick pic showing earlier version before I remembered I'd still forgotten to take the blanking plate out. :oops:

It usually runs with a tumble dryer hose ducting air from the 'rear exhaust fan' hole straight to the throat of the modded squirrel cage fan.

Fan is modded with a quieter 'motor', runs at 5V (Maybe 7.. I can't remember) and I get temps of 45C at an ambient of 22C whilst Folding.

Pete

EDIT #14: Sod the rest of the tipo's. :evil:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:03 pm

Lol....a duct that causes heart desease!

Nicely done. That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the pic.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:29 pm

Pteamer is ghetto fab! Nice work!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:51 pm

Nicely done.
Peteamer is ghetto fab! Nice work!
Gee, thanks Boys... :oops:

Unfortunately I can only really claim ... 'initial prototype' as the style. I suffer from..."it's working adequately... no rush/desperate need, to fine tune/polish it... I'll get it sorted properly later..............."

I expect Bluefront knows what I mean..... :roll: :wink:

B.T.W. I can't tell you if it's quiet... I can't hear anything past my 5V'd fan in my PSU that lives externally. :P

Pete

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:11 pm

Well I do spend a lot of time testing ideas that go nowhere....keeps me out of the bars. :lol:

Actually, from the looks of that Jetway board, there is a lot of room below the ps2 ports, as well as the existing fan hole above the ps2 ports. Maybe you could make one large exhaust duct that used the whole area....with the ps2 ports in the middle. Might be as large as an 80mm opening, and a really straight shot for a CPU duct.

Just floating an idea....too many projects going for me right now. :wink: