Cooling a Pentium III 600MHz

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

martinlk

Cooling a Pentium III 600MHz

Post by martinlk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:03 am

Hi all. I really need your help with this one.

I'm building a server for myself. It'll be turned on 24 hours a day, so it's got to be cooled sufficiently. The CPU is a Pentium III (Coppermine) 600MHz socket 370 processor. Currently it's cooled by a standard Intel cooler (I think) which is practically the only source of noise in the system. Someone told me that I could probably passively cool this CPU, but I doubt that. How can I cool this CPU in a cheap and efficient way that's also "silent"?

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:23 am

Intel specs for socket 370 PIII show they run at about 16W which should be passively coolable with a good heatsink and a little case airflow (such as from a power supply fan or rear exhaust fan, possibly with a duct). Most socket A clip on coolers will work with 370 P3s, I would try and get one that will fit an 80mm fan so you can add a very quiet model should you need a bit more airflow.
You'll find plenty of suggestions for specific heatsinks if you search the forums here.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:33 am

Have a look at the other s370 thread in this forum. Basically any cheap, largish HS will cool the CPU passively as long as there is some case airflow.