Quietest AMD64 Cooler that uses Stock Retention Mechanism?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

killerfish

Quietest AMD64 Cooler that uses Stock Retention Mechanism?

Post by killerfish » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:09 am

Hello,

My machine is all installed and running very smoothly, but I have this itch to replace the Stock AMD64 cooler @ 5v with something with a bit better cooling performance..

But since everything is connected and running, I don't really feel like taking it apart and removing my Mobo to install a new bracket..

Net, is there a cooler out there that cools better & quieter than stock HSF using the standard retention mechanism?

Thanks!
KF

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:06 am

I agree, the stock HSF that came with my A64 3000+ is noisy and doesn't cool very well. For the same reasons that you mention I'm considering this one:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=10&disc=

I'd buy it if it is really worthed, but I don't like having a non standard fan. My last Arctic Cooling (for the P4) was very quiet at the beginning but after three months I could hear it clearly.

In any case they are quite unexpensive, and if it delivers what it says it does it could be a good choice.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:19 am

Zalman CNPS7000 without any extra letter (compare to CNPS7000A/CNPS7000B) can be installed by just removing the plastic HSF retention frame and then screwing the provided nipples in place.

CNPS7000A/CNPS7000B have a different set of nipples which require the change of the backplate (to the one included with the HSF).

Cheers,

Jan