RMClock - Best Cool'n'Quiet like utility

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rperezlo

RMClock - Best Cool'n'Quiet like utility

Post by rperezlo » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:44 am

If you have not tried it yet, it is an alternative to the standard C'n'Q drivers that in my case has the best of all worlds.

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

To be more specific, I have a Gigabyte K8NS Pro with and A64 3000+ Newcastle CG O/C to 240 x 10. My problems were:

- AMD C'n'Q is disabled if the FID or the VID are not the standard, that is not good for overclockers
- AMD C'n'Q has fixed FID/VID points (the maximum is the standard and the minimum are 5X and 1.1 V), that is not good for underclockers
- Clockgen is not automatic (you can make it semi automatic with some effort)
- CrystalCPUID and Clockgen crash my computer occasionally, not only when going to very high or low values, but there is a risk in every change I do. I think it is due to my MB being too sensible to abrupt voltage/frequency changes.

RMClock solves all those issues by allowing to set the maximum and minimum FID/VID as CrystalCPUID and by allowing smooth transitions as the AMD C'n'Q driver does. I only installed it yesterday and it didn't crash a single time so far. I have set the minimum FID to 4X (960 MHz) and VID to 1 V, lowering the temperature by other 3 degrees. Max FID is 10x (2400 MHz) and VID is 1.5 V.

I still have a lot to test with this software but first I just wanted to tell you that it has really worked for me.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:27 am

What do You mean with "smooth"? Does it just change between min and max or what?

Cheers,

Jan

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Probably has a graduated rollover from speed to speed. Not sure how that would work, considering I thought it was multiplier based, not HTT based.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:52 pm

Sounds like a great utility in theory. Got an entry in the sticky post.
I also would be interested into the transition between the states. Cool'n'Quiet for example has intermediate states for medium worklevels.

sticky thread: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 4530#64530

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:31 pm

By "smooth" I mean that the speed and voltage transitions have intermediate steps instead of changing suddenly between extreme values. The readouts in the program change once per second and you can see quite often intermediate multipliers and voltages. This is the same behavior that the AMD driver has.

On the other hand Clockgen seems to just change from one value to other causing my computer to crash. If I write a .txt configuration file that changes more than one value chances are that it will crash, specially when the change is big. If I change gradually taking intermediate steps in HT, VID or FID it doesn't crash.

I think from what I've read in some forums that the power circuits of some motherboards are not ready for these sudden changes in load and they fail to provide the right voltages for a few microseconds, enough to crash the computer. Smooth changes allow the power circuits the time to adapt to changing loads. I'm not sure if this is really the reason, but the speed of change is important. For instance in RMClock you can set parameters for the time in microseconds to stabilize the new values of FID and VID, and another parameter to allow what it calls 'sharp' transitions and that it is specifically not recommended. I could try setting it to sharp to see if it crashes my computer but I'm not happy to crash my computer for fun.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:49 pm

Can someone try this on a Barton mobile deskstop system and report back please?