Intel finally perhaps on the right track

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swivelguy2

Intel finally perhaps on the right track

Post by swivelguy2 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:35 am

I feel kinda dirty for posting a Tom's link, but here it is:

Intel aims to decrease power consumption of desktop processors to 60 watts
San Francisco (CA) - In a recent article, we reported that Intel is pushing the power envelope with its desktop dual-core processors to a new record level of 130 watts, raising concerns of additional cost for users to control heat and acoustics levels of a mainstream PC. As we learned at IDF, Intel's chip development will be turning the corner: The company intends to dramatically decrease power consumption to less than half of the the upcoming Pentium Extreme Edition 840.
I think perhaps Intel's desktop line is going to end up forking into a "performance" line and a "quiet" line. Moving to the model number system opens that option up for them, as they could make a processor called, for example, 1005, which is a blazing performer, then cut the clock speed, remove a die feature or two, and sell the 1001 as a "quiet" version of the 1005 for $50 more. But i'm just being overly pessimistic.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:00 am

It's a possibility. They might just be phasing it out altogether in favor of the much better Pentium M (e.g. Yonah, only one year away). Check out this thread for what's turning into an ongoing discussion of the subject.

Me, I'm holding out for Turion 8)
Last edited by Green Shoes on Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:52 am

I don't know, I just couldn't see Intel completely abandoning Netburst in favor of the P-M architecture. Definitely not for their server line, because Netburst has always done well with encoding/rendering/office-related tasks.

Last I head, P-M was staying mobile. Maybe they have a 65nm P4 on the horizon?

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:29 am

PM is coming to desktop even if you ask Intel. Have you seen their MacMini-sized machine? It's not a P4E inside those...