Cool Master Aquagate Mini

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PPGMD

Cool Master Aquagate Mini

Post by PPGMD » Fri May 06, 2005 6:30 pm

Normally water cooling turns me off, because of the hazards and added complexities of a water cooling system. But this unit, I saw it in Maximum PC, looks interesting because it's a simple bolt on solution without many of the complexities of other water cooling solutions.

Coolmaster product website

It seems a little loud by default, but perhaps a fan swap out could get it under 20db.

benx

Post by benx » Sat May 07, 2005 3:21 am

The reviews are postive, it come ready to go, no need to add water ect.

The preformance is still well under a self compiled WC system

DaVinci42

Post by DaVinci42 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:04 pm

I hope silentpcreview will review it soon. I'm running a zalman 7000alcu & a stock antec sonata fan on variable voltage (MB speeds it up when hot). So my computer in near silent, but I was thinking of getting 939pin Athlon 64 & DFI Lanparty MB & overclocking. If the pump itself is quiet, then I can leave my case fan hooked up the way it is now so that normal operation is running Cool & Quiet, & when gaming I could get great performance.

andywww

Post by andywww » Wed May 11, 2005 8:11 pm

IMO with a kit like this you miss out on some of the silencing potential, in addition to not being able to OC, you also can't use it in conjunction with an enclosure for your hds.

PositiveSpin

Just installed one - about to take it out again!

Post by PositiveSpin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:10 am

I thought I would try one of these, given that it wasnt very expensive (AUD120). I got the 120mm version, 'cause I'm wanting to cool a 3GHz Prescott.

It's not too bad to install, except that you must remove the motherboard from the case. I managed to install the 120mm version in a Sonata without much fiddling.

It works fine at cooling, but I'm going to take it out. The pump is fairly audible, and the fan is not automatic - it's manually controlled, ranging from acceptably quiet to unacceptably loud. Plus the lack of a fan on the CPU means the northbridge and regulators are quite hot to touch.

I think I'll either return to a Zalman 7000 or possibly try a Gigabyte G-Power (which is surprisingly effective).

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:27 am

This post is really good if you're not that familiar with water cooling or even if you are.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15168

You could easily assemble a kit that would be quieter and cool better than any of the starter kits that I am aware of. - FG