What to trust? BIOS or Speedfan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EvoFire

What to trust? BIOS or Speedfan?

Post by EvoFire » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:57 pm

First, some background information. I have been running my CPU passive when I am just normally surfing the net, listening to music(no hardcore gaming). I turn the fan off and the computer falls below ambient noise levels during day time. Speedfan generally reports temperatures of 45C - 74C, I haven't seen any higher.

There was 2 instances of my computer shutting down due to heat, and then twice I purposely shut it down to see what the BIOS give me as a reading.

First shut down, it was really warm and some one had left something on the tp blow hole, restricting the exhaust of hot air. Speedfan was reporting 77C when it shut down. I restarted the computer with the fan on, computer won't past POST and prompt me to enter BIOS. Checked the temperature. 96C!!

Then the 2 instances of shutting the computer down just to see what it gives me(I turn the fan back on during shut down of Windows). First time, Speedfan was reading 47C, BIOS read 76C. Second time, Speedfan was reading 56C, BIOS read 86C. Speedfan and CPU temperatures read the same when the CPU fan is on though.

This morning, I was half awake, and started a game forgetting to turn the fan back on after having it off at night. Computer shut down. I was like, oops... BIOS read 99.5C, this is after I turned the fan back on, and was at least a minute after the computer had shut down.

So I have two questions, do I believe the BIOS or Speedfan? I know they will be both off, but, which would be the more believable number? Also, how hot can the Barton chip get? The mobo only allows me to boot into windows <90C as the BIOS reads. I have no way to set this. If the BIOS was right, the chip has to be over 100C when it shut off.

wim

Post by wim » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:31 pm

i've noticed the same thing on my machine (bios temps reported a good deal higher than speedfan temps). i've never really worried about this issue very much because, as a prerequisite, i get my system stable, then i don't worry about absolute temps - i only really pay attention to relative changes in the temps when i do mods or make hardware changes. so i can't provide an absolute answer, but i suppose if you really keen to find out you could try Calibrate Your CPU Temp Reporting

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:12 am

I read that article before... but I don't really understand it. Just that, if the CPU is indeed at 100C, then I'm really amazed.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:58 am

I also have this discrepancy on my system. I do however believe that both the BIOS and the Speedfan temperatures are correct. My CPU is cooled by a temperature controlled fan and when I have entered BIOS the fan is clearly audible but when I exit BIOS and boot into Windows I can hear the fan gradually slowing down during the boot process. My uneducated guess is that this has to do with the "CPU HALT Command"/"S2K Bus Disconnect" not being in operation with the BIOS setup loaded.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 pm

I'm not sure if this makes any difference. Fanless idle is 45C-47C, Fanned load is 43C-45C

I was running fanless idle, restarted the computer and started the fan from nothing to 12V. BIOS was reading 76C and dropping.

fjf

cpu

Post by fjf » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:29 pm

Just touch the cpu sink close to the base. If your cpu is burning hot, the sink will be too.

Regards.

alglove

Post by alglove » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Are the BIOS and Speedfan measuring the same thing? For example, the BIOS could be reporting the temperature of the core thermistor, but Speedfan could be reporting the temperature probe of the socket beneath the CPU. When the fan is spinning, these two temperatures may be close to each other, but when the fan is not, a lot of the heat may be trapped inside the CPU.

I dunno, just a thought. Either that, or you have an asbestos thermal pad!

EvoFire

Re: cpu

Post by EvoFire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:15 pm

fjf wrote:Just touch the cpu sink close to the base. If your cpu is burning hot, the sink will be too.

Regards.
Its obviously burning hot. Which part of 77C and 99.5C says its not hot?
alglove wrote:Are the BIOS and Speedfan measuring the same thing? For example, the BIOS could be reporting the temperature of the core thermistor, but Speedfan could be reporting the temperature probe of the socket beneath the CPU. When the fan is spinning, these two temperatures may be close to each other, but when the fan is not, a lot of the heat may be trapped inside the CPU.
Hmm... I realized that it may be reading from different sources, but was just stumped why the temps are similar with the fan on while so different with the fan off. Your explanation seems to fill in that gap.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:20 am

The BIOS Setup itself puts some load on the CPU (sometimes even 100%) so both BIOS and Speedfan figures are correct in terms of actual CPU temperature.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:28 pm

EndoSteel wrote:The BIOS Setup itself puts some load on the CPU (sometimes even 100%) so both BIOS and Speedfan figures are correct in terms of actual CPU temperature.
but can that justify a change of 20C in at most 2 minutes?

Straker

Post by Straker » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:16 pm

EvoFire wrote:
fjf wrote:Just touch the cpu sink close to the base. If your cpu is burning hot, the sink will be too.

Regards.
sorry to resurrect, but that's not the point. it's like... if the TV says it's raining outside, does that mean it is? no. your temps might be nowhere near 77 or 99C (though I'm guessing they are anyways, if it's shutting down).
more importantly, if there's something screwy with your HSF, it might still be cool even if your CPU really is ridiculously hot.

anyways,
2 mins is an eternity, if any temp changes anywhere are slow it's because of whatever is being used to measure the temperature, and i guess the bit of a buffer that the heatsink itself would provide. that makes me think that the problem is somewhere else - i'm not sure what motherboard you're using, but for example, it could also be the opposite of what alglove said. maybe the BIOS reading is from a sensor that's in a bad place when you happen to have less air flow, same way some motherboards and/or systems happen to have impossibly high reported case temps.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:40 pm

Straker wrote:
EvoFire wrote:

Regards.
sorry to resurrect, but that's not the point. it's like... if the TV says it's raining outside, does that mean it is? no. your temps might be nowhere near 77 or 99C (though I'm guessing they are anyways, if it's shutting down).
more importantly, if there's something screwy with your HSF, it might still be cool even if your CPU really is ridiculously hot.
I get ur point about the TV thing. And nope, I know the heatsink is hot... i scorched my finger when I touched it.
Straker wrote:anyways,
2 mins is an eternity, if any temp changes anywhere are slow it's because of whatever is being used to measure the temperature, and i guess the bit of a buffer that the heatsink itself would provide. that makes me think that the problem is somewhere else - i'm not sure what motherboard you're using, but for example, it could also be the opposite of what alglove said. maybe the BIOS reading is from a sensor that's in a bad place when you happen to have less air flow, same way some motherboards and/or systems happen to have impossibly high reported case temps.
Hmmm.. not sure where the sensor is, or which sensor the motherboard is even reading from, but as long as it doens't burn out, then I guess I'm ok...

by the way, my mobo is listed on my sig.