Reading EU reviews in English

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

Reading EU reviews in English

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 am

There are some excellent review sites overseas that publish in, for example, Danish. In reading these posts, apparently many of you are unable to read these. Let me show you how:

Enter the Google search engine. At the right, click on "preferences". Be sure you have "search in any language" selected. Back to Google, enter this exactly, including the quotation marks (using cut-and-paste):

"Thermalright High Riser Heatpipe Passivkuehler"

You should get one hit, which is Hartware.de. Click on "translate". You will find yourself in the HR-01 review. Now there are three ways you can navigate - two good, one bad. The bad first: **do not** go to the bottom of the page to select another page of the review. This will dump you out of the translator (translator dependent). Do look on the right hand side as you scroll down. You'll see an annotated page listing. You can select any of these pages and stay in the translator.

More: At the top, on the right, see "Reviews". Click on this, scroll down, and you will see list of HSF reviews. You can click on any of them and stay in the translator. So now you have access to the entire Hartware.de site, in English! You might want to save this in your "Favorites".

That's one site. Back to Google. Enter this exactly, with quotes:

"Überblick über alle Tests von CPU-Kühlern:"

The "hit" will be fan-x.de; click on "translate"

Now you have a menu of 12 HSF reviews to select from. Click on any that interest you and you can read them in english.

Unfortunately, at the top of the page, if you click on "sonstiges" you will go to the Scythe fan review but you will be dumped out of the translator, so back to Google. Enter this exactly, with quotes:

"Überblick über alle Tests auf fan-x, die in keine andere Kategorie passen:"

And hit "translate" on the Google hit. You will be taken to a menu of two reviews, one of which is the Scythe fan review.

I hope with these hints you'll be able to find your way to other sites and other EU reviews. Please let me know if you find a translator for Polish sites! :lol:

qviri

Re: Reading EU reviews in English

Post by qviri » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:36 am

Felger Carbon wrote:Please let me know if you find a translator for Polish sites! :lol:
http://www.poltran.com/ works well enough for single words, sorta-kinda for full sentences, but attempting to translate the entire page will only give you headaches.

Solution: learn Polish :D

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:01 pm

I hope you realise all your examples are German and not Danish. :lol:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:29 pm

[quote="Tibors"]I hope you realise all your examples are German and not Danish. :lol:[/quote]

Uh, no. I'm a retired electrical engineer (computer division), not a linguist. :lol:

Tephras

Re: Reading EU reviews in English

Post by Tephras » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:There are some excellent review sites overseas that publish in, for example, Danish. In reading these posts, apparently many of you are unable to read these.
[rantmode]
1. "overseas" is a relative term, a lot of registered users on this forum doesn't live in North America, your post take for granted that they do.
2. The Google translator can only translate a few languages spoken in EU to English - the ones that are most widespread - and Danish is not one of them. German, however, can be translated to english via Google, as seen in your example (Denmarks ccTLD is .dk).
3. While most good review sites "overseas" (as seen from an North American viewpoint and I assume it refers to Europe) indeed does originate from EU member states the ones that doesn't should not be forgotten, they might not be able to translate online but some of them do also publish in English - X-bit labs/digit-life.com comes into mind.
[/rantmode]

Btw, there's a Polish to English translator at Travlang, but it's only a word translator and it's not a good one.