Silencing a Radeon 8500

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaypers

Silencing a Radeon 8500

Post by jaypers » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:21 am

Some fo you may remember that last month thanks to lots of help from people on the board I replaced my ATI Radeon 8500DV fan and heatsink setup.

I have used the system for aout a month now and am reporting as promised!

I use an Akasa Icicle 311 heatsink and a Papst 8412 fan @7V volts. All I can say is that it works absolutely fine, in fact it works so well that I reckon (don't hold me to it though) it could work fanless (but for the moment other parts of my PC are louder than that Papst!). It never gets more than lukewarm even during games.

I might even dare to speculate that simply removing the ATI fan and using a 80mm fan pointed directly onto the small ATI heatsink may well be enough... (I will not take responsibility for that though - I am no professional!)

Hope this helps someone and I'd be interested to know is anyone tried the latter?

gksam

Re: Silencing a Radeon 8500

Post by gksam » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:07 pm

I took off the fan from my ATI 7500 and ran it a year with no airflow. heh. Didn't get very hot. (I later sold the card to buy an 8500).

My 8500 is running with a Zalman ZM17 with a panaflo @ 5V pointed at it. I think it can run without the fan though :P

jaypers wrote:Some fo you may remember that last month thanks to lots of help from people on the board I replaced my ATI Radeon 8500DV fan and heatsink setup.

I have used the system for aout a month now and am reporting as promised!

I use an Akasa Icicle 311 heatsink and a Papst 8412 fan @7V volts. All I can say is that it works absolutely fine, in fact it works so well that I reckon (don't hold me to it though) it could work fanless (but for the moment other parts of my PC are louder than that Papst!). It never gets more than lukewarm even during games.

I might even dare to speculate that simply removing the ATI fan and using a 80mm fan pointed directly onto the small ATI heatsink may well be enough... (I will not take responsibility for that though - I am no professional!)

Hope this helps someone and I'd be interested to know is anyone tried the latter?

attnet

Post by attnet » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:16 pm

My 8500 is running at 250/275 with the STOCK heatsink and fan UNPLUGGED. It shows absolutely no artifacts after even an hour of 3Dmark. I'm even starting to think about overclocking this baby. ;)

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:55 pm

how are you guys pointing a panaflo at your cards? Zalman fan bracket?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:16 am

My ghetto fan bracket. Scroll down to second to last photo. PCI slot cover recycled. A fan screw through a hole drilled at the end of the metal piece, a bit of bending for good tension against the end of the VGA card, and screws are nice and tight...

BaconTastesGood

Post by BaconTastesGood » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:38 am

That's similar to what I had in mind for a bracket, but my intent was to sling the fan underneath the bracket so it would blow directly at the card. The perpendicular flow with an overhead mount has me concerned about both deadspots and uneven air flow.

But when I did a similar PCI bracket "mod", the fan didn't stick out far enough (the slot cover was too short).

Thoughts?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:12 am

Not having used it with anything really hot, I can't say. Has worked perfectly on all the VGA cards I've tried it with. At 6-7V, the Panaflo moves plenty of air -- more than a typical 40mm VGA fan -- and having the air go across both sides of the VGA has its cooling benefits. Plus you get a bit of NB chip cooling tossed in for free, so to speak...

simmers

Post by simmers » Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:35 am

I want to get a Sapphire Radeon 9100 which seems to be the best bang for buck on the market at the moment (a rebadged 8500LE for £55 in the UK!!) so am interested in what you guys have to to keep them quiet.

As I have no case fan running, I would be worried about disconnecting the card's fan, so had planned to add a perpendicular 92mm fan on my Zalman bracket. The 'belt and braces' approach would be to add the small Zalman VGA heatsink as well. I'll report back when I get round to ordering the card :)

counterpt

Re: Silencing a Radeon 8500

Post by counterpt » Sat May 10, 2003 6:00 am

gksam wrote: My 8500 is running with a Zalman ZM17 with a panaflo @ 5V pointed at it. I think it can run without the fan though :P
How did you remove the heatsink from the 8500dv? I can remove the fan with the screws but hte heatsink seems glued?

Thanks

simmers

Post by simmers » Sat May 10, 2003 11:03 am

Well, I said I'd report back when I got my Sapphire Radeon 9100. Had it for a couple of months now and very impressed too. Performance ahead of the Radeon 9000 for less money, and not far from the GeForce Ti4200 for less than half its cost. My 3DMark2001 score increased by nearly 80% :lol:

I took the original fan off - it hummed, although not too bad - and cooled it with an 92mm fan 5V-ed attached to my Zalman bracket. This seems fine for games and 3D Mark benchmarking. I've since changed the position of the fan to rest in the bottom corner of the case, angled up at the card. Long-term, I may get a bracket to allow the fan to sit parallel to the card and blow directly on it.

I've run it without the fan to see what happened. Not a lot really, even when playing games, but for the sake of a little fan noise I'll have the security of some reasonable cooling to make sure the card lasts.

To remove the heatsink (which I haven't), weaken the adhesive by sticking the card in the freezer, then gently prise off the heatsink with a flat blade screwdriver. Protect the PCB by using a credit card and twist the screwdriver blade.

counterpt

Post by counterpt » Sun May 11, 2003 4:00 am

simmers wrote: To remove the heatsink (which I haven't), weaken the adhesive by sticking the card in the freezer, then gently prise off the heatsink with a flat blade screwdriver. Protect the PCB by using a credit card and twist the screwdriver blade.
I tried but I was too chicken to do it! It started making noise and I was afraid I would break it.
Without the fan, the card is very hot. I can't touch it for very long, it's that hot.

Thanks though.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun May 11, 2003 6:52 am

i need to put the card in a antistatic bag before u freeze, so cad isnt too wet :)
www.chillblast.com have a interestin silent cooler for 9700's :). simmers your card oc well? my mate has one and its crap :(

al bundy

silent Radeon 8500 128MB retail version

Post by al bundy » Mon May 12, 2003 12:42 am

I've tried putting the Zalman ZM17-CU onto a retail Radeon 8500 128MB card, along with an 80mm fan at 5V with overhead Zalman bracket. Works perfectly even during long hours of gaming. I've been wondering lately if I really need the 5V 80mm fan, when this sink is on the card...

8)

counterpt

Re: silent Radeon 8500 128MB retail version

Post by counterpt » Tue May 13, 2003 4:21 am

al bundy wrote:I've tried putting the Zalman ZM17-CU onto a retail Radeon 8500 128MB card, along with an 80mm fan at 5V with overhead Zalman bracket. Works perfectly even during long hours of gaming. I've been wondering lately if I really need the 5V 80mm fan, when this sink is on the card...

8)
Yes but removing the original heat sink is the prblem for me.

Right now, I needed to fix it right away. I had a zalman bracket for the 6000CU cpu heat sink.
I found a twistie tie and tied a panaflo to blow directly at the card from the side. It's prety warm but I can touch it without bunimg myself.

When I said it made noises, I meant the card started to creak as I applied pressure from the screwdriver and I was pretty sure I was going to break the card.

Thanks!

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Tue May 13, 2003 4:42 am

When I said it made noises, I meant the card started to creak as I applied pressure from the screwdriver and I was pretty sure I was going to break the card.
I had the same issue. There's going to be a significant amount of force to undo the thermal adhesive they used. When I did it my screwdriver popped the sink off but I didn't realize how much force I used. Some suggest that by exposing the adhesive to extreme cold temperatures for a half hour (like a freezer) softens the adhesive enough to get it off. Start from room temperature though, or you'll get some condensation.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue May 13, 2003 11:24 am

rpc180 wrote:
I had the same issue. There's going to be a significant amount of force to undo the thermal adhesive they used. When I did it my screwdriver popped the sink off but I didn't realize how much force I used...
Same here. It does make one a little nervous while using the screwdriver method to pop off the sink, with the noise and force involved... but it still comes off with some force and does not damage the gpu at all. I ususally loosen the sink from all 4 corners with the screwdriver method, finally popping it off with a good hard twist of the screwdriver when I come full circle back to the first corner again. Afterward, some careful scraping-off of the remaining glue residue, some alcohol-cleaning of the gpu, and then fixing on the new Zalman sink with their thermal epoxy. Works every time!

I've done this with four different Radeons now and haven't had any problems with the card afterward. I did not put them in the freezer first, etc... just popped off those glued-on sinks with some good twists of the screwdriver. After doing this a couple of times, it doesn't seem as anxiety-provoking anymore...

8)

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Tue May 13, 2003 12:29 pm

tll make it brittle, not soft btw
get the card hot to make it soft