Decent cheap Socket A cooler needed plus Standby question

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

paulsiu

Decent cheap Socket A cooler needed plus Standby question

Post by paulsiu » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 am

The stock cpu fan on my Athlon XP (socket A) has recently started to get loud. I would like to replace the fan with something that is quiet. Keep in mind that I like to keep this fairly cheap since I plan to replace it sometime this year.

I notice that when I put my cousin's eMachine on standby, it is totally silent. When I put my machine into standby, it's still quite loud. What is supposed to stop on standby? CPU fan? Video card fan? PSU fan?

On another note, where do you folks buy your coolers. They are never available locally. Some of the coolers mentioned on this site seem to be hard to find.

TomZ

Re: Decent cheap Socket A cooler needed plus Standby questio

Post by TomZ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 am

paulsiu wrote:On another note, where do you folks buy your coolers. They are never available locally. Some of the coolers mentioned on this site seem to be hard to find.
I've bought mine from http://www.heatsinkfactory.com. No problems with them so far.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:55 am

The Copper Silent 2 from Arctic Cooling is a good low-cost Socket A cooler that I can recommend. There's also a cooler from Spire that often is mentioned when the subject of low-cost Socket A coolers comes up, I believe the model name is Whisperrock or something like that.

fingers

Re: Decent cheap Socket A cooler needed plus Standby questio

Post by fingers » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:22 am

paulsiu wrote:The stock cpu fan on my Athlon XP (socket A) has recently started to get loud. I would like to replace the fan with something that is quiet.
Did you mean the fan, or the whole heatsink? If you are on a budget and depending on the size of the heatsink you can just replace the fan with something a bit quieter .. have a look at the spcr recommended fans list :D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:04 pm

I have used the "whisper-rock" they are OK by most peoples standards of quiet.

However people on here are a bit different..................

Take me for example I have just spent £200 on a case and PSU, and I dont think that is good value for money, but I am prepared to spend it (I have already).

The whole idea of quiet comes at an expense, what is your espense.???

If you can......... wait a couple of days for the quieting experts to answer your request, and when yu find the dont.............. I expect you to have gone E-Shopping for HS/Fans and come back to us with some results.

AC (arctic Cooling) kit is superb, even though I have had a fan faliure I still cant recommend them enough.

If you can fin an AC Copper Silent 2 take it, I would pay £6 for one, whats hat in your currency.??? (I get free delivery).

If you cant find one the "Whisper-rock" is a "rock" but does not live up to its name, howevrr it beats the crap out of the "EVIL" AMD S562 cooler fan. And just to rub it in it is mor rliable and is cooler.

Andy