CPU temps and SpeedFan

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

CPU temps and SpeedFan

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:37 pm

hi there!

i noticed SpeedFan detected 2 different temps for my CPU:

1- main CPU temp: i know what it is...going up to 45-56 degrees when idle, and 57-58 degrees while on load
2- CPU2 (?) temp: it seem to be related to CPU because it heats up when my CPU heat, it's generally between 36-39 degrees when idle, and up to 50-52 degrees when on-load (and it have the little flame thing beside it at this temp).

so what could that "CPU2" temp be?

i don't think that little flame beside it would be dangerous, since it always go around 50-52 degrees...

thanks for helping me

Le_Gritche

Re: CPU temps and SpeedFan

Post by Le_Gritche » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:43 am

Processor thermal diode vs. socket thermal diode ?
Maybe chipset temp, but 50° seems like a lot to be the chipset. Besides, if it's called 'CPU(2)'...

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:21 am

chipset? what do you mean?
the processor goes up to 60 degrees....and that "CPU2" goes up to 52-53 degrees (and have this little flame icon beside it)

my processor:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939 (San Diego), so it's not a dual-core or something, it's single-core.

so what would be that 2nd temp. reading? (the first one is the real CPU temp).

anyone else have an idea what would it be?

Felger Carbon

Re: CPU temps and SpeedFan

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:00 am

Le_Gritche wrote:Processor thermal diode vs. socket thermal diode ?
Maybe chipset temp, but 50° seems like a lot to be the chipset. Besides, if it's called 'CPU(2)'...
Generally, the socket sensor is a thermistor under the socket, not a thermal diode. As far as the name of the temperature, that's just a name and means nothing. You can change it to whatever you want. I prefer "socket" but others might prefer "Mae West". :)

The way you can tell if that's really the socket temp is that the socket will usually track the thermal diode on the CPU less a certain number of degrees. My Ninja/Sempron 754 2600+ tracks 5 or 6C less; a higher power CPU and/or a weaker HSF might double that difference.

dddibley

Post by dddibley » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:09 am

This might be useful. Basically, a true CPU temp will fluctuate much faster than a socket temp.

Calibrate Your CPU Temp Reporting

ddd

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:37 am

i checked this CPU diode calibration page...

the meaning of this is the diode is almost always off?

for example a 60 degrees CPU would be around 57-59 degrees in reality?

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:32 am

I believe one of those 2 temps is called PWM temp. This temp is normally goes up and down in tandem with CPU temp. For my Athlon XP, CPU temp is the one with lower set of value - I've cross-referenced with few other softwares to come to that conclusion. Sorry, I can't recall names of the software I used any more. :oops: I can be wrong anyway. :lol:

Btw, to get rid of the fire flame you'll need to change the temperature setting for that particular sensor.

Edit: I think one of the software I used for cross-referenced was Abit EQ, and it calls that tmp PWM.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:40 pm

ultraboy wrote:Btw, to get rid of the fire flame you'll need to change the temperature setting for that particular sensor.
oh yes, i noticed the "CPU2" temp. option was still at default "warning" setting of 50 degrees (with 40 degrees in "desired" option, i raised the "warning setting" to 53 degrees for now). i think most "default" settings in temperatures from SpeedFan are wrong.

yes i know it seem to run hot, a friend of mine told me it tend to run hotter when you put it beside or under your desk. someday i'll have to re-organize the wires better inside...but hey, with the default CPU fan, on top of my desk, it was running at 45 degrees (idle) still, and when i still had the comp on my desk with the better CPU fan, it was lower, around 42-43 degrees. (i mainly wanted to change my CPU fan because the default one was doing an annoying hi-pitched noise at 100% speed...)

i tried to have the most empty space possible behind it so the hot air won't go back in, and i've "tweaked" some stuff behind my computer so the warm/hot air won't come back in by the ACAG intake hole behind (placed some boxes to "block" the hot air going out to come back in, but the colder air near the intake would come in, passively, mostly sucked in by the CPU fan).

i have one "bogus" temp that i removed from the reading too, i named it "Video Card?" because i thought it was a reading from my video card, but i think SpeedFan is unable to read temperatures from a video card.