Tower heatsink?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

where?wolf

Tower heatsink?

Post by where?wolf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi!

I like the idea of having a s.c tower heatsink, and beeing able to duct it to one of the exhaust fans in my P180B. And that way get rid of the cpu fan on my socket 754 Epox sli mobo. ( I have a 400MHz overclocked 3000+ Clawhammer rev. cg. With an XP 90 on it for the moment).

But I'm not that delighted by the thought of having to remove the mobo, in order to mount a new heatsink.

Is there any "tower heatsink", that is as good as the xp 90 or better? And that will work with ducting? That does'nt require a motherboard removal?

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 pm

I think an XP-120 will meet your needs, although the duct would have to include a right-angle bend.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:26 pm

XP-120 is not a tower heatsink.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:53 pm

[quote="qviri"]XP-120 is not a tower heatsink.[/quote]

Thanks for the ansvers guys.

Would a duct work with XP 90 too? I forgot to say, that I have a 120mm Nexus on the heatsink now.

And would that bend on the duct have any restricting impact on the airflow do you think?

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:21 pm

Others have tried to duct XPs but I believe they met with mixed success.

If you are going to buy a new heatisink, buy a tower heatsink: HR-01, Ninja, etc. It will be much easier to get the results you want. In fact, the HR-01 comes with a duct.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:16 am

[quote="ultrachrome"]Others have tried to duct XPs but I believe they met with mixed success.

If you are going to buy a new heatisink, buy a tower heatsink: HR-01, Ninja, etc. It will be much easier to get the results you want. In fact, the HR-01 comes with a duct.[/quote]

Thanks for the ansver. Both the Ninja and the HR-01 are very nice, but do require a removal of the s. 754 mobo if Im not misstaken? And that's what I'm trying to avoid ( if possible?).

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:27 am

The Ninja for sure. Check Thermalright's site about the HR-01.

Pulling the motherboard isn't such a big deal. I spent at least as much time fashioning a nice duct and fashioning one for a non-tower heatsink would likely take longer. And frankly somethings are worth doing right the first time.

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:01 pm

ultrachrome wrote:The Ninja for sure. Check Thermalright's site about the HR-01.

Pulling the motherboard isn't such a big deal. I spent at least as much time fashioning a nice duct and fashioning one for a non-tower heatsink would likely take longer. And frankly somethings are worth doing right the first time.
O.k. thanks.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 pm

I agree with ultrachrome. I wouldn't let the motherboard removal requirement sway me one way or the other when picking a heatsink.

With a tower heatsink, even if you can install it with the mobo still in the case it's often a serious PITA to try to do so. Tower heatsinks are big, and cases are cramped. Trying to wiggle your fingers down around the heatsink and the wires and the PSU to get to whatever clip system it has at the socket is often an exercise in frustration. Pulling the motherboard out is only a 5 minute job, and it lets you make sure the TIM and heatsink get put together exactly the way you want them to.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:54 am

Get the Hr-01 combo at this shop. Cheaper than Swe shops and you can't get the duct in "gamla Svedala" ;) All in a neat pack with the S-clip as well so that you can turn the cooler if your socket is in the wrong direction.

http://pc-cooling.de/de/Kuehler/AMD+Ath ... 5252B.html

They've got it in a 775 version as well and Am2 bolt kit for Am2 or a socket retention for people who need to use the S-clip on Am2.

The shop is great and shipping is quite cheap also. Also get the Hr-03 for your gfx card while you're at it. It's brilliant! :)

where?wolf

Post by where?wolf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:29 am

Poodle wrote:Get the Hr-01 combo at this shop. Cheaper than Swe shops and you can't get the duct in "gamla Svedala" ;) All in a neat pack with the S-clip as well so that you can turn the cooler if your socket is in the wrong direction.

http://pc-cooling.de/de/Kuehler/AMD+Ath ... 5252B.html

They've got it in a 775 version as well and Am2 bolt kit for Am2 or a socket retention for people who need to use the S-clip on Am2.

The shop is great and shipping is quite cheap also. Also get the Hr-03 for your gfx card while you're at it. It's brilliant! :)

Hi!

Sweet!

And getting a HR-03 for my pretty noisy x1800GTO too, would be a good idea!

Thanks!