Core2Duo stock cooler vs. CNPS7000

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anodyne

Core2Duo stock cooler vs. CNPS7000

Post by Anodyne » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:15 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know how the stock cooler supplied with the Core2Duos compares with, say, a Zalman CNPS7000?

I just got the parts for a new C2D 6400 system build, and I'm planning on re-using a CNPS7000 that I have (with the Zalman ZM-CS1 adapter kit). But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask - I can't recall having read any reviews of how the stock Intel C2D cooler sounds/performs.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Since you have both heat sinks, you can answer your own question.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:04 pm

Yes, but the Zalman mounting kit for the CNPS7000 requires removing the motherboard for installation. I know it's lazy of me but I was hoping someone who has already tried the stock cooler could advise me so that I don't have to install my new mobo twice to find out.

I don't really expect the stock cooler would be as quiet as the Zalman, but stranger things have happened.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:47 pm

This is just what I wanted to know! :D I don't have the adapter kit yet and I'd hate to waste money (I know it's cheap but add shipping costs... yeah). Plus, my Zalman's fan is making grinding noises so if the stock cooler is good enough... I'll just keep it.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:12 pm

I actually bought my ZM-CS1 adapter at a local CompUSA for US$4.99...it was only US$3.99 at NewEgg, but the shipping was US$4.99!

I didn't get any additional feedback so I went ahead and mounted the Zalman on my new mobo. With the fanmate it is fairly quiet, and I didn't have the time to test mount both coolers (I needed my computer back!).

wpb

Post by wpb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:34 pm

I replaced my stock Intel HSF on my C2D with a XP-90. But in retrospect, I actually don't think the stock Intel HSF was that much louder. Could just be my environment and/or bad hearing, but it's not a huge difference in noise to me. However the XP-90 is a very nice HSF.

hellfire88

I'm in the same situation

Post by hellfire88 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:03 am

Wow, I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you anodyne. I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 and both the intel stock HSF and a Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU (ok, I have the ALCU model, you may have the all-copper model). I am running everything on an Asus P5B-VM micro-ATX motherboard. When I first got the CPU + motherboard, I didn't have the Zalman ZM-CS1 adaptor yet, so I just ran everything with the Intel stock cooler. I don't overclock and just want a quiet, stable system, so I went into my BIOS and put the CPU fan speed option to "silent". This ran the PWM fan on the intel stock HSF at around ~1000RPM, and to my surprise, was very very quiet, almost silent! I also noticed that my temperatures were not too bad, like 45 - 55 degrees (idle to temp).

I then went to my local CompUSA, and got the ZM-CS1 for $4.99. I had to take out my motherboard, put the mounting hardware on, and tested the CNPS7000B-ALCU. I'm using the Fanmate2 and turned the speed knob all the way down (~5V?). I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU running at the lowest speed on the Fanmate2 sounds a bit louder than the Intel stock HSF? Also, my temps are 50 degrees idle now.

Maybe I didn't put enough AS5 or reseated the CNPS7000B-ALCU properly :(. I'll probably put the intel stock HSF back on to test again.

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 am

Thanks, Hellfire88. Although my computer is acceptably quiet, I think the loudest noise from it is the CNPS-7000. It would be interesting if SPCR or someone tested the stock coolers from Intel and AMD the next time a new aftermarket cooler is tested, just for comparison, but I know it takes a lot of time to set up different systems and test them all.

I haven't installed any temperature monitoring software yet so I can't tell you what my CPU is running at; as soon as I get around to that I'll post it for your comparison.

The next time I feel like mucking around inside my case, I was planning on installing a better cooler like the Arctic Freezer 7, however I may try swapping in the stock cooler first instead.

dbmnk

Post by dbmnk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:19 am

is it hard to swap the boxed cooler?

I plan to buy an E6600 with boxed cooler, because it is cheaper than without, but am just worried that I will have to clean the cpu, lap it and all that **** in order to get an XP-120 mounted properly on it.

- so, how well is the boxed cooler anchored to the CPU?

- and would I get the same cooling efficiency mounting an aftermarket heatsink on a pre-boxed as with a non-boxed with minimum hazzle?

Anvar
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Anvar » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:51 am

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd be very surprised if the stock cooler was attached to the cpu in the box. I see no way this could be done, as you have to mount the cooler to the motherboard.

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:17 am

I just built a Core 2 Duo system. The CPU and the cooler come separate. The CPU is nicely isolated in its own little plastic compartment and the cooler (which, by the way, at least looks nice) is in another.

dbmnk

Post by dbmnk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:31 am

great, thanks - thought it was a BOX, special engineered, to slap into the socket

Shhh,Peaceful

Post by Shhh,Peaceful » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:36 am

I'm building a new PC with:
E6600 C2D
Asus P5N E-SLI

I have the mother board and the cpu but the case/psu (Antec P150) won't be here until Monday.

A friend of mine is building the same pc and bought the Zalmon fan for it. I ran out of money, so I'm going to use the Intel fan unless there is some problem with it. It will be interesting to compare cpu temps between the two.