Best 92mm Tower Heatsink for Low Airflow

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaydub

Best 92mm Tower Heatsink for Low Airflow

Post by jaydub » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 pm

Hello, I'd like some advice on what TOWER heatsink to get for my LGA775 Conroe 6700, within the following parameters. I want a tower so I can blow the air out the back.
- Height of heatsink must be less than 145mm, which pretty much excludes all 120mm models and the Thermalright 92.
- Particularly effective at low airflow. This would seem to imply fins that are more widely spaced.

Some choices seem to be:
Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX
Rosewill RCX-Z3
Rosewill Rosewill RCX-Z775-SL
Noctua NH-UF9
CoolerMaster Hyper TX
Thermaltake CL-P0370
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

All are at newegg. All seem to have about the same fin spacing, which is fairly close. Assuming the same level of airflow (low), any opinions as to which might be the best? Any others I've missed?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Since Thermalright Ultra-90 is not compeatible ( that's the thermalright 92 you were reffering it ) I think you've pretty much convered everything except old Aercool GT-1000 and HT-102. Although I am not sure if you get those anymore.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi, I recently went through the same problem for my E6600 with max height of ~135mm. I ended up chosing Zalman 9500AT (4 pin PWM control version) and it's absolutly fine at default clock speed for cooling. Moderatly quiet at it's minimum fan speed of 1300rpm and very quiet once you get down 1000-1100rpm. Trouble is I've got fair over-clock of 3.325GHz (from 2.4GHz) and the Zalman is bearly enough. When the room is cold <20°C the Zalman manages to to hold 60°C core temp when folding (two copies, for SPCR naturally!) with around 1200-1300rpm. TAT and Orthos are heavier loads and temps rise and speedfan then lifts fan speeds. Of all the data I looked at I concluded the best performance at low noise within the given height came from the Butterfly heatsinks. I did this by looking at the °C/W vs dB(A) figures from the various reviews, not sure why I didn't buy a butterfly as QuietPC are selling them in the UK and presumably elsewhere too.
Regards, Seb

jaydub

Post by jaydub » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:40 pm

Yes, I can see why you like the Zerotherm. Impressive CW rise on the SPCR review, despite it's kind of silly appearance. Thanks for letting me know. It seems to very clear that performance of these towers at low air flows is directly related to resistance of the fins. The Zerotherm appears to have comparatively low resistance. The fatal flaw seems to be that there is no way to attach a case fan of your choice.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:35 pm

jaydub wrote:The fatal flaw seems to be that there is no way to attach a case fan of your choice.
"The perfect is the enemy of the good." - source unknown :D