How good is the Stock C2D Intel HSF (compared w/ 7000ALCU)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

p5

How good is the Stock C2D Intel HSF (compared w/ 7000ALCU)

Post by p5 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:58 am

Hi,

About to do my c2d (E4300 + P35 board) setup, just waiting on ram to arrive.

One question though, I've an old zalman 7000ALCU (modded with a nexus 92mm) which I had planned to use, bought the ZM-CS1 clip, which allows the 7000 series to be used on LGA775.

I've actually roughly estimated using the heatsink reviews from here that the zalman 7000 @ 5v (about my nexus 92mm 12v) could be 14C warmer than the leading heatsinks (compared to scythe ninja w/ nexus @ 12v for ease of use).

Just actually wondering how good the retail intel heatsink fan that comes with the core2duo's is any good?

Or in particular if anyone knows (bit of a long shot), which is better at same noise levels between the intel heatsink and my zalman 7000ALCU (at 5v).

A scythe ninja could be mine for around £30. Would it be worth investing in that?

I will be overclocking to a sensible level, i.e. something that doesn't run stupidly hot. Probably around 3ghz (if that isn't contradictory, haven't really a clue on TDP on c2ds let alone oc'ed c2ds. Still stuck in A64 winchester days).

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:11 am

The stock C2D fan is surprisingly quiet IMO, though not silent by any stretch. I had a 7000AlCu on my old 2.4GHZ Northwood which had a TDP of around 67W, and it stayed perfectly cool. I overclocked this to 3GHz, so you should be just fine, considering your overclock will be the same as mine and the original TDP on a C2D is 65W

arbiter

Post by arbiter » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:38 am

I'm not sure what changed on the Zalman side of things, but the 7000AlCu used to only be certified for some P4's at full speed, and not at all for Pentium D.

Now it's recommended for all Pentium D and Core 2 CPU's. I've personally used them with up to a Pentium D 3.0 GHz with no problems on a relatively low fan speed, so even a hot Core 2 Duo should be fine. I'm not sure what's different now, but it's a great little cooler for the price.

The C2D's run so much cooler than Netburst CPU's, cooling them quietly is pretty easy.

I have mine at home running on a CNPS9500. It's connected to a Fanmate and adjusted to the lowest speed, and it's running very cool.
The 9500 is overkill for this, but I already had it from an earlier Pentium D. I really like it because the horizontal design lets you control the case airflow better.

TonyB.

Post by TonyB. » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:27 am

I first ran the stock Intel HS/HSF when I bought my E6400 (65W [email protected]°C) and was surprised how quiet it was, but it couldn't do better than +28°C over ambient temp (24°C ambient|52°C CPU) in an Ultra MicroFly.

I then put a Zalman AlCu 7000b in and was again surprised.
Surprised that it didn't cool but 2 degrees better than the stock HS/HSF and was about 20% louder. As a comparison; I couldn't here the stock HSF over my GeForce 6800GTOC AGP card's LAF or my PSU fan (Antec TP-430) while I did notice the addition of the Zalman 7000.

Now I'm using the Ninja rev. b, with included fan (almost silent at 1230rpm). Sadly, the Ninja only cools my [email protected] (375.0x8) to 45°C with the same 24°C ambient temperature. But it is quiet!

My E6400 is a hot one from what i've seen of other peoples' posted temps, so you may do much better.

As for whether the Ninja is worth 30 more pounds depends on how well the 7000 cools your new C2D. I'd give both the stock HSF and the 7000 a try. If either is quiet enough and keeps your E4300 below ~46°C (L2 stepping) or ~54°C (M-0 stepping, if there is one) at stock under light load, it should have enough head-room to OC a little. How much I don't know. My E6400 rises 4°C (idle) from 2.13GHz to 3.0GHz with the Ninja, but the stock HSF and the 7000 seem almost at the limit of their thermal resistance in that range, so will increase the temp more rapidly (+10°C higher I'd bet).
For longevity and silence sake I like to keep my operating temps below ~55°C (L2 stepping, [email protected]°C TDP).
The newer steppings are coming with higher Tc & TDP so neither HSF may be any good with them. The E4300 M-0 stepping processor is said to have a Tc of 73.2° Celsius, up from 61.4°C in the l-2 stepping with a 100°C Tjctn. With the two HSFs in question being near max already, temps while OC'd and loaded could get pretty high.

Given that 1 pound is what, about $1.85 USD, I'd give them a chance. Save the money for a pint or two!

When asked why I never quote my operating temperatures while loaded, my only excuse is I never can remember them the day after.
:wink:

TonyB.

mx-5

Post by mx-5 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:07 am

I have a E6300 running at stock speed. I also used both the stock HSF and a Zalman CNPS7000B.

My E6300 is running on a Asrock Conroe945G-DVI board in an Antec Aria case. Due to poor case cooling, the inside of the Aria gets pretty warm. I was not able to control the PWM fan speed on the stock HSF, and it was ramping up like mad. I swapped in the Zalman since I can control it with the Fanmate. Currently, my case temp is in the high 30s, and CPU temp is around 50C.

I read ppl having success using Speedfan to control the PWM fan on the Asrock board (I wasn't able to get that working initially), but I'll live with the Zalman rather than having to mess around in the tight case...

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:48 pm

mx-5 wrote:I have a E6300 running at stock speed. I also used both the stock HSF and a Zalman CNPS7000B.

My E6300 is running on a Asrock Conroe945G-DVI board in an Antec Aria case. Due to poor case cooling, the inside of the Aria gets pretty warm. I was not able to control the PWM fan speed on the stock HSF, and it was ramping up like mad. I swapped in the Zalman since I can control it with the Fanmate. Currently, my case temp is in the high 30s, and CPU temp is around 50C.

I read ppl having success using Speedfan to control the PWM fan on the Asrock board (I wasn't able to get that working initially), but I'll live with the Zalman rather than having to mess around in the tight case...
Yes Speedfan can definitely control the CPU fan header (PWM) on that Asrock board. I have the board and use it to control my HSF. Good thing too, because the BIOS only lets PWM to go down to 70% and for my HSF you need to go down to 50% for real quiet.