Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cyberspacegenie

Scythe Ninja v TR 120-extreme v mini Ninja

Post by cyberspacegenie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:36 am

Hi,

I will shortly be building a new system based on the following spec:

E6600
Antec Solo
P5B Deluxe or P5k Deluxe (if it becomes available here)
Samsung 501HDLJ (hard drive)
GPU will decide in a few weeks time, but likely passive 7900GS or 8600GT.

My question is regarding the HSF. The general consensus seems to be the best HSFs out there at the mo are the Scythe Ninja and the Thermalright 120-extreme.

I've read both positive and negative things about both but would like to hear the experiences of people who have put them in a similar system (antec solo/P150 case and Asus MoBo). This is my first system so obviously I'm looking for the least hassle possible.

Ambient temps at the mo are about 32 degrees C, and there's high humidity. In mid summer this room can get up to about 37 degrees C as there are many windows and no aircon! I will also experiment with overclocking.

The Ninja Rev B costs about $40. TR-120-extreme costs about $80 plus another $16 for the fan (Scythe S-flex).

The Scythe Mini Ninja is also available but I haven't been able to find any reviews etc about it. Cost is the same is the Ninja - $40.

I'm in Tokyo so the selections (and prices) are a little different from what is available in Europe or USA. For example the p5K deluxe motherboard is not available here yet, though the P5K is.

Anyway, any experiences (good and bad) and/or advice is appreciated. I am a little tempted to try the mini Ninja (or Minja as I've seen it called), but just dont know enough about it at this stage.

Many thanks

derekva

Re: Scythe Ninja v TR 120-extreme v mini Ninja

Post by derekva » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:06 am

cyberspacegenie wrote:
The Scythe Mini Ninja is also available but I haven't been able to find any reviews etc about it. Cost is the same is the Ninja - $40.

I'm in Tokyo so the selections (and prices) are a little different from what is available in Europe or USA. For example the p5K deluxe motherboard is not available here yet, though the P5K is.

Anyway, any experiences (good and bad) and/or advice is appreciated. I am a little tempted to try the mini Ninja (or Minja as I've seen it called), but just dont know enough about it at this stage.

Many thanks
The Mini Ninja isn't available (that I'm aware of) in the US or Europe yet, so you probably won't be able to find any information on it unless we have some other forum members who live in Japan.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to the Mini Ninja when it finally does arrive in the US. It seems perfect (with a fan attached) for use in an HTPC.

quielb

Post by quielb » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:12 am

The only problem that I have had is that the Ninja is a tight fit in the Solo/P150.

I found it easier to put the heat sink on first and then set the board in the case. Make sure the bottom of the case is clear of cables and such, drop that end of the board in then you will be able to tilt the top end of the board in.

And make sure everything is connected first because you won't be able to get your fingers in around the heat sink afterwards.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:24 pm

quielb wrote:And make sure everything is connected first because you won't be able to get your fingers in around the heat sink afterwards.
That depends on the motherboard. I can mount/unmount the Ninja on my K8NGM2-FID in a Solo just fine.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:52 am

I had a Ninja running in my Solo and recently swapped it for a Tuniq Tower, the performance of the cooler even with low fan speeds in my system is still better than the Ninja by ~4-5C.

Also the mounting System is way better on the Tuniq than the Ninja, and U120X.

crispyfish

Post by crispyfish » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:17 pm

panda-R wrote:I had a Ninja running in my Solo and recently swapped it for a Tuniq Tower, the performance of the cooler even with low fan speeds in my system is still better than the Ninja by ~4-5C.
Which one is better really seems to depend on the system. In Madshrimps' recent roundup, the Ninja on low outperformed the Tuniq Tower on low by about 1.5C.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=578

There are a few cards that are consistently top performers -- I don't think it makes much sense to argue which one is "best." Probably the sensible policy is just to get the one that fits best in your system. That could be the Ninja for some people (like me, using S939), or a Thermaltake model, or a Tuniq model. Whatever works.

cyberspacegenie

Post by cyberspacegenie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:29 pm

I agree with you on that crispy fish, hence just trying to find out about peoples experiences on a similar set-up.

The Tuniq Tower is not available here. On price Ninja wins but problems with the mounting system worries me a little. In that respect the TR 120x seems more user friendly. Another cooler that is still popular and on sale here is the TR SI-120.

Asus have released a new P35 MoBo here - the P5KC. It seems more or less the same as the P5K but with slots for both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. I am likely to go for this board I think. Still in a solo case.

Please, please, please continue to let me know your experiences on a similar set-up with those coolers. Many thanks.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 pm

crispyfish wrote: Which one is better really seems to depend on the system. In Madshrimps' recent roundup, the Ninja on low outperformed the Tuniq Tower on low by about 1.5C.
the problem with my ninja was the mounting system was never tight, even after switching to SCURK1 bolt through, it didn't help at all. No doubt the Ninja is a good cooler its just as big as the Tuniq in almost all regards, just that it never had a competent mounting system.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:25 pm

panda-R wrote:
crispyfish wrote: Which one is better really seems to depend on the system. In Madshrimps' recent roundup, the Ninja on low outperformed the Tuniq Tower on low by about 1.5C.
the problem with my ninja was the mounting system was never tight, even after switching to SCURK1 bolt through, it didn't help at all. No doubt the Ninja is a good cooler its just as big as the Tuniq in almost all regards, just that it never had a competent mounting system.
Actually it once had a wonderful mounting system. Those fortunate enough to have bought the original Ninja (as opposed to the newer Rev B) are as far as I can tell universally happy with it...

cmthomson

Re: Scythe Ninja v TR 120-extreme v mini Ninja

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:28 pm

cyberspacegenie wrote:My question is regarding the HSF. The general consensus seems to be the best HSFs out there at the mo are the Scythe Ninja and the Thermalright 120-extreme.
Another heat sink in the same class is the Thermalright HR-01. It is a very competent heat sink with a solid mounting system, and comes with an easy-to-install duct that mates with the rear case fan, so that no CPU fan is needed.

cyberspacegenie

Post by cyberspacegenie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:20 pm

I think that I'm going to opt for the TR Ultra 120 Extreme. Its a bit pricier but I'm hoping it will make the build more straightforward. Thanks very much for the comments. I'm still interesting to hear other's experiences as I dont plan do the build until after 22nd July so if you think your experience is useful for me or others please add them. Thanks again.