Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Bolt-through versus push-pins at Madshrimps

Post by Tzupy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:01 am

From a larger CPU heatsinks' review, here is the relevant page:
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=578
For the SI-128SE, bolt-through shaves 7-9 degrees, making it a much better value for money.
So the reason why I'm happy with my SI-128 on push-pins is that I use the mobo backplate to apply extra pressure.
I wonder how long will my push-pins live, they are under a lot more strain than normally. :roll:

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:53 am

Scythe Infinity enjoys similar performance increase when push pins are swapped for bolt through kit
http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=567

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:05 pm

note to self: be happy I have a Ninja rev A and not a Rev B :)

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:02 pm

jmke wrote:Scythe Infinity enjoys similar performance increase when push pins are swapped for bolt through kit
Am I missing something in the review?
page 1: "My first attempt used a custom bolt through mounting acquired through Jabtech.com with a set of screws and bolts from a local Ace Hardware stores. After getting the Infinity in place with the new mounting bracket results were disappointing, CPU temperatures were higher than the stock mounting clip…"
page 2: "This provides a very strong and solid mount of the Scythe Infinity on the E6600 CPU. Temperatures however were again on par with those first got from the standard configuration. Let’s see how we can improve this."

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 am

when i swapped my REV B Pushpins for the SCURK1 kit i only got maybe 1-2 degrees difference, the copper spacer isn't thick enough and not enough pressure is applied to heatsink still. It is however a more secure mounting method for those that transport their comps around.

after that, i swapped for a tuniq tower and gained ~5C degrees in cooler performance even with low fan speed.