coupling Scythe Ninja RevB to LGA775

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bussoguy

coupling Scythe Ninja RevB to LGA775

Post by bussoguy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:27 am

AS a prelude, the current read to reply ratio on this forum is betwwen 50 and 100 to 1. ie lots of people read not many post. Please feel free to reply to this post as I will value all replys.
I have just purchased (yet to receive) a Scythe Ninja Rev B to attach to an Intel E6420 on an LGA775. Currently I have the stock intel HSF which is noisy at idle but a din on load. It keeps the temp of both cpus at around 31deg C at idle but rises almost instantly to 70-72 deg C with 100% loading.but returns almost instantly back to around 31 deg C when load removed.
This to me seems to indicate there is bad coupling between HSF and CPU.
Probably caused by the worst engineered HS attachment intel could have devised. How Intel could put their name to such crap is beyond me but I am looking to the Ninja
I am thinking of making a backplate for the Mobo and using nuts and bolts to attache the Ninja but am unsure of the tension to attach the Ninja to the cpu. There have been a few places where nuts and bolts have been used but nothiong on how to tension them.
Anybody been there done that and have an idea on tension? How tight is tight? Too tight? Not tight enough? With good metal on both sides can the HSF be too tight on the CPU heat spreader.
Or should I just use the crappy intel push plug atachment.

Ryan Norton
Patron of SPCR

Post by Ryan Norton » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:50 am

lots of threads on how the Rev B Ninja and LGA775 push pins are not an ideal combo, check some of them out for lots of good ideas.

IMO the ideal solution is to get a Rev A Ninja and use the SCythe Universal REtention Kit to get the backplate on the mobo which allows you to install two rails that the Ninja clips onto. That would produce more tension than the push pins. I had one of those for awhile until I had to give that Ninja up for a comp I put together for a friend, whose mobo had capacitors that blocked the Rev B Ninja he bought on my suggestion, so we swapped Ninjae and I got stuck with the pushpins :-(

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:37 am

Just buy a SCURK1 kit for less ~10$... works wonders! I did not even used the copper spacer, only the backplate (don't peel it off!) and the 2 metal brackets.

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 am

chienpourri wrote:Just buy a SCURK1 kit for less ~10$
Exactly. That fixes the mounting system issue by removing the push-pins (which are adequate for Intel retail and throughly inadequate for the added weight of the Ninja). :)

bussoguy

Post by bussoguy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:02 pm

[Just buy a SCURK1 kit for less ~10$... ]

I am located in Aussie and searched all sources here that sell scythe with no joy. Hence my thoughts on home manufacture.

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:45 pm

The Thermalright kit isn't available either?

home manufacturer... get the appropriate diameter nuts/bolts/washers... I wouldn't worry too much about tension, use your good judgement there. :)

bussoguy

Post by bussoguy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:28 pm

[The Thermalright kit isn't available either?

I did find it in one eastern states place but seemed complicated and not sure if a Ninja would suit it.

Will go ahead with homemade back plate and suitable nut/bolts.
My thoughts are to tension evenly with just enough pressure so the HS won't twist. Sort of "when it will just twist, give each bolt a quarter turn."
The spring tensioner I saw with a socket939 adapter is clever and I will probably use something similar.
Have to wait for Ninja to finalise these thoughts.

Thanks to all who have responded.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:27 pm

For what it's worth, the suggested heat sink pressure is 60-70 lbs. Of course, unless you're Dell or HP (or Scythe I guess) this isn't a particularly useful value...

jsquared

Post by jsquared » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:33 pm

I had similar concerns about how much tension to use when bolting the heatsink to the mobo. I measured the height of the stock twist pin flange (which set the distance between the heatsink mounting plate and the mobo), then determined the number of fiber washers that would approximate that distance. Using these washers as spacers, I could then bolt the heatsink securely to the mobo, and since the mounting plate was the same distance above the mobo (and the cpu) as when using the stock mounting pins, I believe the tension was correct.

I found this technique earlier on this forum, but unfortunately I can't cite the source. Hope this helps.

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:48 pm

bussoguy wrote:[The Thermalright kit isn't available either?

I did find it in one eastern states place but seemed complicated and not sure if a Ninja would suit it.

Will go ahead with homemade back plate and suitable nut/bolts.
My thoughts are to tension evenly with just enough pressure so the HS won't twist. Sort of "when it will just twist, give each bolt a quarter turn."
The spring tensioner I saw with a socket939 adapter is clever and I will probably use something similar.
Have to wait for Ninja to finalise these thoughts.

Thanks to all who have responded.
I purchased the Thermalright kit from PCCaseGear.com.au for my ninja, its works much better than the pushpins.