Scythe Ninja with Fan mod

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The.Jackal

Scythe Ninja with Fan mod

Post by The.Jackal » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey guys,

I was looking on the net for some Ninja mods and I came across this one, It might be usefull for those you use a fan on the Ninja. It's in Spanish I think so you will need to translate it with http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Link to mod: http://www.acusticazero.com/content/view/78/29/1/1/
I'll try to post some more If I find more.

SORRY if this already has been posted. Can any one els give me some links to Ninja/Infinity mods?

I think you guys prolly already know the one Extreme Systems (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=117054)

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:35 pm

I know there are some issues with the mounting, but since when is the Ninja total crap now? 90% of all the reviews are positive.

And if so, which one would YOU recommend then since you think the Ninja aint good.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm

andaca wrote:Thermalright ultra 120 is a truly superb heat sink. a steal for the price paid. go for it, you will not regret the purchase.
you sound like you were hired by thermalright with your posts..

from a more OBJECTIVE stand point... the ninja is alright, it just needs a better mounting system and Intel needs to start making flat heatspreaders.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:02 pm

thank you panda-R. His first comment was a bit weird ;s

I knew about the mounting problem, so I also ordered this:

I hope this will fit on the Ninja.

burebista

Post by burebista » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 pm

The.Jackal wrote:I hope this will fit on the Ninja.
Without problems. We have here a couple of guys who already did that.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am

Will you use the top plate with the Ninja? I've been looking at that mod as well and it seems like you have to skip the top plate and just use a couple washers on the bolts.

Sidewinder Computers actually sells the kit for cheaper without the top plate: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

Let us know how it goes, I'm interested and would like to see some pictures too, if possible.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:47 am

I will definitely post some pics as soon as I get all the parts. I'm hoping they will arrive next week.

BUT I was actually hoping that I could use the top plate as well and not only the backplate. I've been looking for photo's with this kit in combination with a ninja.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:48 am

Here's the "official" reply directly from the Scythe forum concerning the sometimes difficult Ninja mount.....

"There are usually 2 sides of a story...

Push-Pins are easy to mount and even we sell a huge amount of Ninja PLUS CPU Cooler worldwide and the problem appears sometimes. Most users like the Push-Pins and for those who like metal retentions, backplates and screw around, we have the Universal Retention Kit again on the market. We are working on a new Mounting Mechanism but still it is difficult to develop a completely new mounting which is better than what you have on market already.

The most convinient way is using the Push-Pins because you can not give a normal user screws and tell him to screw everything perfectly to have it not too tight, not too lose etc. We try our best to improve and solve problems in the best way, sometimes endusers can not really see the difference or improvement even there is one."

In other words Scythe doesn't really admit a serious problem, although they do admit to working on an improved mount system. I got that reply two days ago. I too prefer a metal screw mount, rather than plastic push-pins....

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:19 am

My main concern with the bolt-thru mounting system is that I might screw them too tight. Can any one tell me "what might be too tight" ? Are they talking about the motherboard of the CPU when they say too tight?

And IS it actually possible to screw it too tight? I mean, you can't really force it can you unless you want to break the motherboard?

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:30 am

I used to have a Ninja Mounted on my P5B-Dlx w/ E6300.. temps were ok, on average about 4-5C higher than what is on my Tuniq Tower right now. I even tried the SCURK1 mounting system and actually i found that it didn't improve at all the temps and it wasn't as "tight" as it would have liked even using the included copper spacer.

If scythe makes a better mounting system (SCREWS!!!) then i'm sure the ninja would be alot better because my Tuniq running at same SLOW fan speeds as i did on the ninja is easily out cooling it by 4-5C.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:47 am

I hope they then don't fuck up fool proof AMD mounting system in Rev. C.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:36 am

The.Jackal wrote:My main concern with the bolt-thru mounting system is that I might screw them too tight. Can any one tell me "what might be too tight" ? Are they talking about the motherboard of the CPU when they say too tight?

And IS it actually possible to screw it too tight? I mean, you can't really force it can you unless you want to break the motherboard?
Decent bolt-thru mountings such as those on the Ultra 120 or Noctua NH-U12F have spring-loaded screws which tighten to a predetermined amount and then stop, automatically applying the correct tension. I suppose you could still overtighten them if you're really determined, but it would take stupidity of truly mastodonic proportions.

That said, I've never tried using the Thermalright bolt-thru kit with a Ninja, so I'm not sure how compatible they are.

I can't see why it's apparently beyond Scythe to implement something like this, it's hardly rocket science...

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 pm

What I don't get is wouldn't a new retention bracket for AM2 really have been the only mod they had to make? Aside from the different retention bracket that AMD used for AM2, I can't see anything drastically different from before. If I'm wrong please feel free to chime in.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Sorry to say, but your comments so far are kind a lame. We get your a f*cking Thermal fanboy.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Jeez....He's at it again in a different thread. Let's see....he screwed up a heatsink installation, took a hammer and smashed the thing, now goes around shouting "It's not my fault". Smart kid...... :P

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:50 pm

Oh never mind I see you already are being an ass on the SPCR forum:

confirmed: ninja B is garbage. THERMALRIGHT RULEZ
viewtopic.php?p=356049&highlight=#356049

EXECUTION OF NINJA MURDERER (REV. B) [thread probation]
viewtopic.php?p=345344&highlight=#345344

I would at least vote for an IP ban if that was possible. I would appreciate it you just dont reply on this topic. Thanks for your (useless) comments before.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:19 am

You know, kid (this is not based on your age or your education but your behaviour which is very immature )... Even you're in web community, there is still net etiquette. Please, learn to behave. Going nutts over like this and spouting things that seem like a propaganda, insulting other users and spamming threads with pictures unrelevant for topic is not way to go around these forums. You just bring shame on Thermalright's fabulous Ultra-120 coolers with your behaviour.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:30 am

thejamppa wrote:You just bring shame on Thermalright's fabulous Ultra-120 coolers with your behaviour.
Not really. Ultra-120 Extreme is a fine cooler despite his behaviour. So is Ninja, eventhough some people apparently don't know how to install it properly.

I don't think SPCR needs trolls, so I have PMed a mod and requested a ban for Andaca (I'm probably not the only one). It's already pretty obvious, that this is not your average spcr poster that, can be reasoned with and his disruptive posts obviously have a way to tick people off. It's only a matter of time until he drags other people down to his level.

NeilBlanchard

meta post

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:05 am

Greetings,

I have removed a post, that was waaay off topic, and unnecessarily personal in content.

I would hope that all SPCR members would take an implicit rule to heart: post in a manner that acknowledges that all your readers have feelings, a brain, and their own opinions.

[/moderator's hat]

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Erssa wrote: I don't think SPCR needs trolls, so I have PMed a mod and requested a ban for Andaca (I'm probably not the only one). It's already pretty obvious, that this is not your average spcr poster that, can be reasoned with and his disruptive posts obviously have a way to tick people off. It's only a matter of time until he drags other people down to his level.
i second this! seriously we don't need any more posts about how ultra-120 is so good and the ninja is the worst heatsink on the planet. Maybe he works for thermalright?
:roll:

WR304

Re: Scythe Ninja with Fan mod

Post by WR304 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:07 pm

The.Jackal wrote: SORRY if this already has been posted. Can any one els give me some links to Ninja/Infinity mods?
If you have a desktop case similar to an Antec Solo then suspending the case fan and CPU fan works well.

You don't really want your fans in contact with the case or CPU cooler in order to reduce vibrations.

When suspended by string as pictured here the fans don't touch the case at all and are noticeably quieter. :)

Close up of Fan suspension in Antec Solo Case

If you have a large passive VGA cooler directly beneath the CPU heatsink then suspending a fan between the CPU cooler and VGA cooler will cool both at once.

Suspended fan in Antec Sonata case cooling Intel E6700@3ghz/ Nvidia GF700GTX

It's not really a mod but it's worthwhile lapping both your heatsink and CPU to get a good finish.

I'm not sure what Scythe Ninja Rev B bases are like but the base of my 2005 Scythe Ninja Rev A was quite badly convex.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs are often concave as well so it's worth doing both. :)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/402/1/

Lapped Intel Core 2 Duo Heatspreader (not my CPU)

Here's a guide to lapping showing the tools you use.

http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/lappingheatsink/

Lt_Dan

Post by Lt_Dan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:06 pm

1. You say the thermalright is cheaper. WRONG. where i live it's much more expensive and even doesn't include a fan.
2. The Ninja is great, it cools my cpu and other components (especially the GP) wonderfully!
3. the mount wasn't to fiddly (a bit) but my main concern is it strength - the ninja (+ fan ) isn't very light - it dosen't look like a strong mount.
4. how do you connect this mod? i checked scythe site but they don't have an installation guide.
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html
5. is it worth buying? it costs 11$
thanks,
D.

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:17 am

Any updates, The.Jackal?

WR304

Post by WR304 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm

Here's a Madshrimps.be article about modding the Scythe Infinity: :)

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=567

Most of the article applies to the Scythe Ninja also.

If you decide to try packing thermal paste under the heatpipes be warned it takes ages and you'll need a lot of paste. :shock:

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:46 pm

WR304 wrote:Here's a Madshrimps.be article about modding the Scythe Infinity: :)

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getart ... rticID=567

Most of the article applies to the Scythe Ninja also.

If you decide to try packing thermal paste under the heatpipes be warned it takes ages and you'll need a lot of paste. :shock:
hi,

I read the article too.
anyone who succesfully performed these mods on the ninja?

About some things I want your opinion:

* Does the FIN bending makes sense? Does it work? Is it easy on the ninja? who did this?

* Does the push-pull config work for the ninja?

* Does ducting work?

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 am

up

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:21 pm

Justchill wrote: * Does the FIN bending makes sense? Does it work? Is it easy on the ninja? who did this?

* Does the push-pull config work for the ninja?

* Does ducting work?
Bending fins might help to catch more airflow from the fan by capturing some of the non-linear flow. This is less important for a Ninja than for a HS with tighter fin spacing. The fins on a Ninja bend very easily. Mine are pretty beat up after all my re-installs.

Push-pull works with any HS, Ninja included. But there's no reason to do it with a Ninja, since the wide fin spacing results in very low impedance to the air flow. Once again, tightly spaced fins (with higher impedance) would benefit more from tandem fans.

Ducting rocks! Not only will a good duct keep any air from spilling out the side of the heat sink, it will force all the CPU heat directly out of the case, so it doesn't mix with air cooling the power supply, video, VRM or north bridge. Net result: better cooling at lower fan speeds.

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:36 am

What about the thermal paste appplication onto the base of the heatsink?

Anyone tried those mods on the ninja? Else, I'll be the first one!

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Justchill wrote:What about the thermal paste appplication onto the base of the heatsink?
I've seen a few posts on SPCR about stuffing goo into the gaps between the base and the heat pipes of a Ninja. My recollection is that all of them said that it was a lot of work and had a barely measurable impact on performance.

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:04 am

I did it... it's not that much work; but I didn't really improve performance. Soon I'll post some pics..