Silverstone LC 17 heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Knarkles

Silverstone LC 17 heatsink

Post by Knarkles » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm going to upgrade my processor from Athlon XP 2500+ to Core 2 Duo E6750, and I'm currently trying to decide on a heatsink. The problem is, my case is Silverstone LC17, which being relatively slim (about 13cm clearance above the motherboard) doesn't allow me to use most of the tower-style heatsinks currently being recommended. My motherboard will probably be Abit IP35, MSI P6N SLI Platinum or MSI P35 NEO-F.

The options I'm currently considering are:
- Zalman 7700: Cheapish, not tall at all and should be more than enough for the processor, but I'm not sure how it'll fit the case sideways
- Zalman 9500: Should fit the case, but more expensive and I think the fan isn't as good as on the 7700?
- Thermalright XP-120: Not very widely available, and - requiring a separate fan - even more expensive than Zalman 9500
- Scythe Andy Samurai Master: Should fit the case(?), but no idea about compatibility with the motherboards

Opinions? Experiences with the case and/or motherboards in question?

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:18 am

How about silverstone's own NT01 v2?
Looks like it will fit your case - in fact it almost looks like it was designed for it - although you better check with them first.
I've always favoured front-to-back airflow and this heatsink will let you do that. No idea on pricing/availability though, and it would need seperate fans. Is there anyone out there who has experience with this one?

Knarkles

Post by Knarkles » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:27 am

murtoz wrote:How about silverstone's own NT01 v2?
Looks like it will fit your case - in fact it almost looks like it was designed for it - although you better check with them first.
I've always favoured front-to-back airflow and this heatsink will let you do that. No idea on pricing/availability though, and it would need seperate fans. Is there anyone out there who has experience with this one?
I didn't realize that possibility, thanks for pointing it out! If the socket on the motherboard is in the right position, the NT01 could use the back or side case fans for direct cooling... I think I'll have to look into this. The problem still is, I don't have the measurements on the motherboard and the cooler, so I'll either have to rely on luck or someone else's experience on this.

murtoz

Post by murtoz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:35 am

I'd recommend you send a mail to silverstone to ask if there is any kind of list of compatible motherboards for this heatsink in this chassis.

Knarkles

Post by Knarkles » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:48 am

Yea, I mailed them. I'll post the reply here if/when they send one in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

Knarkles

Post by Knarkles » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:49 am

This is what I got in reply:
Hi Jussi, thank you very much for using a SilverStone. Of the motherboards
that you have mentioned, the ones without heatpipe cooler will be suitable
for NT01 (there will be no potential for interference). So GA-P35-DS3R, P6N
SLI Platinum, P35 NEO-F should all be okay. As for processor selection, if
you like to run without mounting a fan on the NT01 and rely just on the case
fan for cooling, I would suggest getting ones that has rating of 65W or
lower. So the E6750 will be the upper limit of what you can use.