Ninja Fan Position with tall memory in Antec Solo

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moogaloo

Ninja Fan Position with tall memory in Antec Solo

Post by moogaloo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:09 am

I have an Antec Solo case and some of that Memory with the heatsink handle above it so I cannot position the fan on the ninja for a push pull effect to the exhaust fan.

There is a big PSU fan above the Ninja (Does this suck or blow I could not tell) .

I am cooling a E8400 CPU and am wondering if there is any benefit to me adding a fan underneath the ninja (opposite side of the PSU). And should this be set to suck or blow (How do you tell which side is which before turning the fan on?)

I would ideally light to turn the case exhaust fan RPM down so it is silent, but I wonder if I should even risk medium without an additional fan on the Ninja?

Thanks for any answers you can give here! Chris

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:48 am

If you must hang a fan on the Ninja, you might well consider the new Scythe 100x12mm fan. It is a perfect fit with no over-hang, so none of the airflow is wasted. I got mine from Directron, but had to buy a HSF to get it. Here's a picture of my install with the fan on the top. It's quiet enough to use in this manner at lower voltages....and pushes enough air for a Ninja.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 am

You could try turning your case fan down while watching your temperatures with CoreTemp. If everything stays at safe values, then you're done. If the temps get too high, then turn your system fan back up until you can get a fan on the Ninja.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:49 am

Hello,

I kinda' doubt that you even need the fan on the Ninja, at all. The PSU fan exhausts air out of the case, so combined with a slow spinning case fan, there is a lot of air moving through the Ninja -- and if it is too hot, than you could try a simple duct to concentrate the air flow. The fan on the Ninja would only be a last resort, or if you are doing a big overclock?

moogaloo

Post by moogaloo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:23 am

No overclock no, I am running currently on medium with no fan on the ninja, I will turn down to slow and watch the temps.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:57 am

I agree with Neil, if my 600rpm case is enough to cool an athlon xp, a core 2 can be certainly cooled in the same way, especially when mated to a ninja.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 am

Since you're not overclocking, leaving it as is would be acceptable. You could also make a home-made duct between the Ninja and the exhaust fan.