How do you attach you cooler mounting plate to your MB?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jerryk
*Lifetime Patron*

How do you attach you cooler mounting plate to your MB?

Post by jerryk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 pm

I got frustrated with the plate dropping every time I pulled my Ultra 120. So I used a little electrical tape to stick the plate to the underside of my Asus MB. Hopefully it will not melt over time.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:50 pm

I believe the plate should already be firmly adhered to the motherboard. If not perhaps the sticky material has been removed somehow. I'd recommend picking up a new one if it keeps falling off. It's only a few bucks. Handling your heatsink, motherboard and backplate on a horizontal flat surface should be enough to keep it from falling off. How I understand it is that the backplate will only fall off if you handle said components vertically (ie. upright when it's in the case). I'd stay away from electrical tape as far as possible. They get really messy as soon as the temperature raises slightly. It will lose its hold and leave goo all over your motherboard. Not good for thermal transmission. Am I understanding you correctly or am I missing something?

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:18 pm

The Thermalright "LGA775 Bolt-Thru Kit" has a black self-adhesive square on the upper side of the baseplate to attach it to the motherboard (if so required). The adhesive is protected by a white plastic film.

Not exposing the adhesive does mean the backplate can easily be transferred to a different motherboard.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Thu May 01, 2008 3:52 pm

I have several copies of the Thermalright LGA 775 mounting kit. Very nicely made, and well worth the cost. This kit works for other makes, such as my two Scythe Zipang coolers. Mounting the Zipang with the spring screw kit is a royal pain in the ass, but still worth the effort to me. You will need a tiny 90-degree Phillips wrench because the spring screws are round and not designed for a wrench. Pity, as they are very well made.

I bought a couple of those socket 478 metal mounting kits from Cooler Guys, and they are not worth a damn. The metal retention bracket is completely different from the plastic type. The metal bracket interferes with motherboard components, and the hole around the cpu socket is so small that most enthusiast heat sinks won't fit. The metal bracket is a total waste of money. The metal back plate is equally cheap, with crummy stamped screw holes. The Thermalright kit is light years ahead of this cheap knock off.

Link to Back Plate