SLK-900U precautions with Athlon XP?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gonsped

SLK-900U precautions with Athlon XP?

Post by gonsped » Tue May 20, 2003 7:50 pm

Any precautions I should take installing the Thermalright SLK-900U heatsink on an Athlon XP 1800+ cpu?

The thing is so heavy and is above the AMD recommended weight for heatsinks - so I don't want to crush my cpu :-/

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue May 20, 2003 8:04 pm

The best advice is to take the mobo out of case. It makes it much easier. Other than that just take your time, and pay attention to what you're pressing on. Don't push down on the HS with your hand. If you have to move it alittle side to side to line up the lugs be sure to press on the side of the HS, not the top or the corners. You don't want it to put any lopsided pressure on the core.

Other than that it's not as scary an experience as some put it out to be. I've installed several SLK-800's without a problem. I think the whole AMD-core-cracking thing is more smoke than fire. (probably started by Intel moles :lol:)

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Wed May 21, 2003 6:57 am

Rusty075 wrote:I think the whole AMD-core-cracking thing is more smoke than fire. (probably started by Intel moles :lol:)
Same here, I've given my Palomino absolute hell and it still works.

1. Dropped a lightweight HS on it...
2. Almost cracked motherboard installing AX-7...
3. Accidentally spilled bottle of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol on it...
4. Dropped it from about three feet into flor

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed May 21, 2003 9:25 am

Hehe, Athlon Powers, stay away from my computer! :)

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Wed May 21, 2003 7:47 pm

If you are really worried, you could use a shim. However, most (including Thermalright's website) agree that shims increase CPU temps by some small amount. Personally, I agree with the others who have already posted in that, if you are careful, the installation shouldn't be a problem (yes, I have installed an SLK-900U). Take care.

PS If you are considering using a shim, I would recommend this type.