How to remove Ninja rev.A

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Redzo

How to remove Ninja rev.A

Post by Redzo » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 pm

As topic said, any tpis as to how to go about to remove Scythe ninja rev A. It's been like 2 years since it's there and it's time to uppgrade to E8300 (from OCed E4300@3Ghz).
Anything I should watch out for ? Tips ! Anything goes guys ;-)
Last edited by Redzo on Sat May 24, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sat May 24, 2008 2:06 pm

take off the fan first, and just unclip one side of the heatsink, let the other one loosen by itself.

i just took my ninja Rev A off a couple hours ago to make sure my ATX power cable has no damage from VRMs...there's no trick to it, just be careful with how you move your hands.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 pm

There's nothing tricky involved. Just push down on the tabs one at a time to unhook them. It will take a fair amount of pressure, since they are pretty tight. I find it's a good idea to press down on the top of the HS with one hand while using the other hand to unhook the clips, which keeps the HS from moving around. Once all four are unhooked the heat sink can be removed easily, and nothing will be damaged.

Of course, you'll need to clean off the old TIM and apply a new layer when reinstalling.

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Sun May 25, 2008 12:06 pm

After removing the fan & unclipping it, I slowly rotate it back and forth to loosen the TIM's grip.

Until the other day, that always worked with no problems. The other day I apparently didn't loosen it enough as it pulled out my CPU and bent 4 pins in the process.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun May 25, 2008 12:31 pm

that's why LGA775 was developed for. no pins on the CPU to bend, and the socket was also much more secure.

i will admit though, i've pulled CPUs clean out of the sockets before because of TIM on the heatsinks...not generally fun, but i only bent pins when i dropped a CPU one time >.<

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Tue May 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I just needed to add...

How to remove the Sticky Backplate of the Ninja?

Anyone has done this? How?

treker

Hair Dryer to the Rescue

Post by treker » Tue May 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Get your wife's hair dryer out (I use medium settings) and use it on the backside of the motherboard, applying slight pressure to the backplate while removing it. Usually works okay with no damage to motherboard. Then use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky residue on motherboard. Then cover the sticky mess on the backplate for your next install.

Doesn't help now...but for other readers:

NEVER remove the protective film from backplates.