Ninja 2 vs Mini Ninja vs HR-01 Plus

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Ninja 2 vs Mini Ninja vs HR-01 Plus

Post by frenchie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 am

Hi,
I'm having trouble choosing between those 3 coolers....
I have an E7200 intel CPU and I would like to try going fanless. I have an exhaust 120mm mobo controled fan (would be approximatly 4 or 5 cm away from future cooler) and the PSU 120mm fan even closer (a couple of cm maybe). There is also a 92mm fan blowing in the direction of the heatsink from the front of the case, something like 10cm away (mobo controled). All this is in an Antec Solo case.
All 3 would fit nicely in my airflow I think.

I like the mini ninja because you don't need to remove the mobo to install it, it's light weight (big plus !!) and because it has a lot of good reviews. Some say it is comparable in terms of performance with the Ninja 1. Downside, if I had to find one, would be the size (smaller contact area than others).

I like the ninja 2 because it's bigger than it's little brother and it will probably do a better job if run fanless. However, I don't like the weight of the thing and you have to remove the mobo to install it.

I like the HR-01 plus because it has good reviews and the design is different. It seems to be perfect for fanless use. Has the same downsides as the ninja 2.

Does anyone recommend either of these for fanless operation with this processor (any other ideas welcome of coursse) ? Thanks !!

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 am

If it helps you, ALL of those will work fanless in your situation.

Side note: The mini ninja is actually pretty heavy in the big picture. The xigmatek 1283 is about the same weight, and it is a large high performance tower. The 1283 has tighter fin spacing however, which would affect fanless cooling... but how much... I don't know without seeing comparison benchmarks.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 am

Luminair wrote: Side note: The mini ninja is actually pretty heavy in the big picture. The xigmatek 1283 is about the same weight, and it is a large high performance tower.
And because it's taller the cantilever effect is greater as more weight stick out farther.

However, you'll be fine with any of them.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 am

Thank you for your replies.

I finally went with the Mini.

I chose it because I'm not quite sure exactly in which direction the airflow will be flowing : rear exhaust or PSU exhaust. It will depend on how loaded my computer is since the exhaust fan spins susually VERY slowly (PSU fan doing the exhaust job) unless I'm gamming in which case it speeds up and you can clearly feel it's doing more of an exhaust job than the PSU fan.

Therefore, it was difficult to tell how to position the HR-01 + to get the best results.

I discarded the ninja 2 because of the lack of a backplate style mounting system that made me unconfortable given it's weight (>700g).

I also found someone on the forum with the same case and a CPU with the same TDP running a mini ninja fanless and getting good results.

We'll see how it performs.