How much do you tighten a bolt through?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

canthearyou

How much do you tighten a bolt through?

Post by canthearyou » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:56 am

I am mounting the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 using their bolt through mount. The instructions are clear, but leave out how much to tighten the screws down (on an Intel E8400). Does anyone have a hint?

Steve

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm

I tend to stop when you can only just wiggle the heatsink a fraction. It should have some wiggle in it or else your likely applying too much pressure to the board and chip, which could damage things.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:48 pm

I may have went past that a bit. I backed off until it was loose again and the tightened until the slightest wiggle could be seen.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:28 pm

I haven't used Xigmatek's bolt-through system, but I've looked at a picture of it, so I'm plainly qualified to answer your question...

Most bolt-through kits have a shoulder on the bolt which prevents you from screwing it in past a certain point. Xigmatek's system appears to have this trait as well, but you might want to check. With this type of bolt, the pressure is applied by the spring around the bolt rather than by the bolt itself. You simply tighten the bolt as far as you can (until it stops against the shoulder) and you're at the perfect tension.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks everyone. I will leave things as they are for the time being. I can use the allen wrench to tighten it down if needed. The bolts are tight, but the heatsink can still wiggle a bit (rotate viewed from top...not side to side). I booted the system to the bios and it showed E8400 @ 3Ghz with the temperature 43* C, mb ~ 30.

That's all for tonight.

Chandy

Post by Chandy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 am

canthearyou wrote:Thanks everyone. I will leave things as they are for the time being. I can use the allen wrench to tighten it down if needed. The bolts are tight, but the heatsink can still wiggle a bit (rotate viewed from top...not side to side). I booted the system to the bios and it showed E8400 @ 3Ghz with the temperature 43* C, mb ~ 30.

That's all for tonight.
Hi,

I have P5Q motherboard and planning to purchase xigmatek s1283. I want to place the fan facing rear of the case. Did you have any problem in installing the heatsink?

Thank you