Zipang + Q8200 Quad = 46C at Idle

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JMB

Zipang + Q8200 Quad = 46C at Idle

Post by JMB » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:21 am

Hello - I'm evaluating whether I made a mistake when installing my Zipang.

First, I am using an LGA775 Q8200 Quad Core processor. I installed the processor, then per the Arctic Silver instructions for Quad Core intel processors, used a line of AS5 down the center of the processor perpendicular to the key notches.

I then installed the Zipang. Of note was the fact that it was an extremely tight fit across the processor. It felt like I was bending the mobo (Asus P5QL-E) to get the pop-thru connectors to engage. Once engaged, the Zipang held solidly, and is on very tight.

I'm concerned that I may have made a mistake on the install due to the temps I'm getting. I ran a 15 minute Prime95 torture test and maxed out at 61C, which held steady for about 6 minutes. I am idling at ~ 46-47C.

I am considering trying over again and using the Scythe bolt-thru kit. (Bgavin, I've read about your use of the Thermaltake bolt-thru kit, and would love to know the kind of temps you're getting using this + quad core processor. Also, what is your avg. case temp for reference?)

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

(Cross-posted at scythe-eu forums)

bozar

Post by bozar » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:18 am

Way to high idle temp, my idle is 28 degrees and i have a much hotter Phenom X4 9550. You should try to reinstall it.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 am

I agree with reinstallation.

I won't use the push-pin mounting system. Instead, I use the Thermalright bolt-through kit.

You have to fabricate a tool to turn the bolts, as they have no heads. Needle nose pliers are a help here also.

My advice is test the board temps outside the case and on the bench. You have to remove the board to install the metal backplate from the TR kit anyway.

Use a single dab of Arctic Silver paste in the center of the processor. It should be the size of a cooked grain of rice. This is sufficient to spread fully when the processor is installed.

If you pull the board from the chassis and inspect the under side, I suspect you will find at least one pin that didn't make it all the way through and grab correctly.

JMB

Post by JMB » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 am

OK, thank you for the feedback.

I got a Xigmatek bolt through kit that has a tiny little wrench and hex-head bolts. What do you use for 3mm spacers and where do you get them?

Also, is it prudent to use the mounting tape included with this bolt-through kit to hold the backplate in place until bolted? It says to do this in the instructions, but it imagine this acts as an insulator on the back of the mobo.

Thank you!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:02 am

Hi,

I would not stick it onto the motherboard -- just hold it in place until you get a couple of the screws in place. If you tape it, you never get it off again.

What is the ambient (room) temperature? This has a huge effect on the CPU temps...and are you sure that your reading is accurate? Many temp sensors are less than accurate -- so I would not get too worried about the an idle temp of 46C. It is a little bit higher than some, but not crazy-high.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:54 pm

61C under load is definitely not bad. It is load temperature that maters, not idle. While 46C sounds high, it certainly doesn't hurt the chip any. I think the real question is how fast is your fan spinning at idle? Also, Neil's question about ambient temps is very pertinent. It is winter now. Even though it doesn't get very cold where you live, I bet it gets plenty hot in the summer. My concern with your temps is not that they are bad now, but that they will get bad in 4-5 months.

Matija

Re: Zipang + Q8200 Quad = 46C at Idle

Post by Matija » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 pm

JMB wrote:I'm concerned that I may have made a mistake on the install due to the temps I'm getting. I ran a 15 minute Prime95 torture test and maxed out at 61C, which held steady for about 6 minutes. I am idling at ~ 46-47C.
What makes you think those temperatures are correct?

Which program are you using to measure them?

What's your distance to TJmax?