Low-height heatsink for E8600 in Silverstone SG05

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Low-height heatsink for E8600 in Silverstone SG05

Post by shleepy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I have a Silverstone Sugo SG05 case and an E8600 CPU and am awaiting the arrival of an MSI IM-Q35 motherboard and a Shuttle PC62 PSU.

I am pretty set on changing out the PSU, which should theoretically allow me some space for the heatsink (given that I can take apart and mount the internal component of the PC62 strategically). However, the front half of the case is still blocked by a not-particularly-cleverly-designed HDD / optical drive bracket that would still not allow me to use something huge, like a Scythe Ninja.

But anyway, on to my question: Given the worst case scenario (a height of up to 78mm), what could be a good heatsink to use on the E8600? It would be nice to have it either passive or with a very low-speed fan. I'm hesitant to use one of the standard Thermalright low ones (XP-90 or 120) because of their horizontal configurations. If you look at the SG05, there's a 120mm fan blowing from the front of the case, and I think that, theoretically, a vertical cooler could work well. In that case, I wouldn't mind using a fan, but it would have to be a <80mm one, which doesn't leave me any room for quiet options. Thoughts?

PS: There's a possibility that, without the standard PSU, I would be able to use one one of the thinner tower coolers (e.g., U120E, which I have already) without touching the HDD/optical drive bracket... but I'll have to see. For now, I'm just examining the worst-case scenario.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:59 am

Hi, with that sort of height restriction you might find the Zalman flower coolers to be a good fit. The latest 8700NT is 67mm tall which gives 11mm for air to get in the top of it, although it's only partially blocked in your case? I suspect the E8600 is not a hot chip and the Zalman should handle it fine. You can always try under-volting. This is not under-clocking, CPU speed is left the same so performance isn't affected. You reduce the CPU voltage in the BIOS (if you can) and then run stress tests (overclocking test are good, eg Orthos or OCCT) until you find the lowest voltage that works. As CPU power is proportional to voltage squared a 10% drop in voltage is 20% drop in power. The older 7000 and 7500 series should work fine too.
The Scythe Shuriken at 64mm will also fit and may be even better than the Zalmans as Scythe's fans tend to be good while Zalmans tend to be not so good.
Regards, Seb

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Yes, the Shuriken does looks interesting. I'd like to stay away from Zalman and their non-easily-replaceable fans.

Would a Thermalright bolt-thru kit work on the Shuriken? I absolutely hate the clip-on mechanism for Scythe heatsinks.

PS: I'll definitely try undervolting the CPU, but I don't think that the motherboard's BIOS allows anything as far as voltage and FSB adjustment goes. I may have to try it via a software tool or two, or at least wait for a BIOS update that would unlock some options.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 am

Looking at the pics, this one especially makes me think it would be very difficult to do up any bolt through kit as there is no access from above (through the fins of the heatsink). You might be able to do up with a wrench with the motherboard out of the case but still hard. The Shuriken is light, only 350g, so it's certainly "safe" on the push pins. Your CPU isn't a hot one, I think with careful fitting to get the push pins as tight as possible your CPU would be cooled quietly with no problem.
Regards, Seb

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah, it looks like you're right. As for why I hate the clip system, it's more of a matter of inconvenience than danger to the CPU.

I should be receiving my motherboard today, so I'll experiment a bit this week to see if I can't put in something very big in the case (and/or something I already have)... My bet is that I'll end up buying the Shuriken.

Thanks!

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:24 am

you can't fit a tower cooler in a case like that, the tower cooler is as big as the whole case, and is twice as much metal as you need for that cpu! all you need is one of the many flat top low profile heatsinks made by just about every major manufacturer. now which one will fit best, and which will perform the best, is another question that you are best equipped to answer!

bob2300nx

Post by bob2300nx » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:29 pm

If it fits, this is suppose to be the best flat heatsink:

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... xp140.html

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 am

I've got the Shuriken on it already (though anyone else will have a HARD time finding it in stock - seems to have been discontinued). Unfortunately, system is not booting yet, so I can't say how successful it is.