Type of thermal compound / how is thermal "paste"

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sonic6k

Type of thermal compound / how is thermal "paste"

Post by sonic6k » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:13 am

Hello,

Sorry for confusing message subject, I could not think of better one. Anyway I will soon build computer for video editing and also upgrade computer of friend. Unfortunate it is, but my ZALMAN thermal compound is finished. I need to buy new!

I hear many people praise of ARCTIC SILVER 5. I also think it look very good, but is AC 5 "paste" or like nail polish? I like ZALMAN ZM-STG1, because it can be applied like nail polish for women; open top, take little amount of ZALMAN, apply like nail polish on CPU. Also best of ZALMAN is removal; whenever thermal compound need of reapplying, simply take cloth and wipe cloth, then wash cloth with water, done. Too many time I must go through more than one hour to remove thermal compound of OEM system nicely! I mean, it is very thick, sticky and nasty thermal compound, very hard to remove!

Is AC 5 like this or also easy to apply and remove? Also, how many other thermal compound like ZALMAN in nail polish like form? Lastly, would you recommend use of NEXUS THERMAL COMPOUND? http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-thermal-compound.htm

I find very few review of NEXUS, but it is only alternative option to me, because AC 5 not available in my area. Thank you!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Nexus thermal compoud is probably some rebranded stuff.

AC5 is good and it comes in tube and with dollop method on non Direct Touch:

You place around ½ pea size or 3/4 pea size middle of CPU's die, place cpu on it and then press it well and twist couple of times and secure.

on Direct touch: thin stripe on each exposed heatpipe, press against CPU twist and secure.

Arctic Cooling MX2 and Noctua thermalpaste are said to be good too. Way applying them is same as with AC5. I like Zalman stuff too as its good too and very clean to use.

Removing as is same as removing STG-1, except since AC5 is slightly thicker it doesn't come off as easily as STG-1 but its not terribly hard to remove. It glues well CPU on die so you may need to twist hard and use relatively well strength to remove cooler that has AC5 burned in fully.

shutupfan

Post by shutupfan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 am

thejamppa wrote:since AC5 is slightly thicker it doesn't come off as easily as STG-1 but its not terribly hard to remove. It glues well CPU on die so you may need to twist hard and use relatively well strength to remove cooler that has AC5 burned in fully.
That doesn't sound like something I really want in my computer. What if I bend the CPU pins in the process of reattaching a heat sink?

Lt_Dan

Post by Lt_Dan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:16 am

arctic cooling mx2\3 are good. they don't conduct electricity.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 pm

The Gelid GC-1 and GC-2 seems to well reviewed and it is electrically non-conductive (as opposed to AS-5). I'm still using AS Ceramique as it's on hand :D

techpowerup

bjorn3d

tweaktown