SLK-900U: What is this adhesive thingy?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MortySnerd

SLK-900U: What is this adhesive thingy?

Post by MortySnerd » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:25 pm

I have a clear pastic tape on the bottom of my SLK-900U that says "remove before installing". Fair enough. But is this a device that keeps the bottom of the heat sink pure, or do I have to clean it? I removed the tape and it sounded like it was glued on. Is the bottom of my heat sink "pure" or should I clean it with alcohol?

wsc

Post by wsc » Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:49 pm

It's a thermally conductive adhesive pad, you should only remove it if you have some Artic Silver 3 or other thermal material to replace it with.

It's there for a reason ;)

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:03 pm

I had the 800A and when I took it off, there was glue left on it. I had to remove it w/ so nail polish remover. I than lap it because it was smooth.

adoyle

Post by adoyle » Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:04 pm

I do not understand. Do you have to remove the thing that says "remove before installing"? Also, is artic silver better to use than the stock option?
Thanks
alan

Melluk
Friend of SPCR

Post by Melluk » Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:39 pm

I do not understand. Do you have to remove the thing that says "remove before installing"?
Yes
I think it is a sticker to prevent scratching during manufacturing.

Good instructions for applying Arctic Silver (or any other thermal paste)
can be found here

cheers

adoyle

Post by adoyle » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:23 pm

how do i clean the glue off?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:35 pm

What glue? What are you guys talking about?

My SLK900U came with a bit of clear tape at the bottom. It is non-sticky and will not leave any residue. This is quite commonly found with other products too, like HP inkjet cartridges. This is to prevent the bottom surface being scratched and keeps it clean. Just remove when you need to fit in the Heatsink. :wink:

I can't speak for other Thermalright products, but I am pretty sure it is not a thermal pad they stuck on.

Keel

Post by Keel » Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:11 pm

I'm fairly certain the SLK-900U does not come with a thermal pad since it's an enthusiast's heatsink. Wipe it down with some isopropyl alcohol (preferably >70% purity) anyway just to clean the area before applying AS3/watever compounds ur using.

If it does have a thermal pad (can't imagine what thermalright is thinking) you'll have to scrape as much off as you can and rub with either acetone/xylene/ or isopropyl alcohol until it's all shiny. Then you can begin the AS3 process. Xylene is realllllllly nasty stuff btw...