1156 cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Koolpc

1156 cooler

Post by Koolpc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

Can anyone recommend a cooler for a 1156 socket please? Must be able to use an 120mm fan. Ta

ces

Post by ces » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:31 pm

You need to provide more info.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 am

ces wrote:You need to provide more info.
lol, more info?

Sockett 1156 cooler that takes a 120mm fan. Simples.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:43 am

Questions (in no particular order)

1. What CPU you are using. Will you be doing any overclocking, if so how intensive?

2. What are you using the computer for? Are you going to be doing any intensive tasks?

3. What is your priority moderating CPU temps or sound. If both, is either of these more important than the other? Is this for a green computer?

4. To what extent is cost important. I seem to remember in another post that cost was important to you.

5. What case are you using and and how much space do you have? Are you likely to want to use this same cooler in future builds or are you likely to want to be able to move the board and the cooler to future cases?

6. Is cooling your mother board and/or video board important. Do you want this cooler to contribute to that, or don't you care?

7. Do you want or expect to use the cooler on future builds that may or may not use 1156.

8. Do you live somewhere where the computer will be exposed to high ambient temps, or are you putting it in a basement where the ambient air temps can be expected to always be low?

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:09 am

Possible Cooling Solutions - Supercoolers (in no particular order)

1. Noctua NH-D14 (King of the Hill - for now)

2. Thermalright IFX 14 (similar to the Noctua NH-D14 but with less fin area and less performance)

3. Prolimatech Armageddon (benchmarks not yet available)

4. Akasa Nero AK967 and Nero S (unassuming over performers that provide exceedingly good cooling with surprisingly little noise)

5. Titan Fenrir TTC-NK85TZ

6. Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer

7. Thermalright Venomous X (middle weight that punches with the heavy weights)

8. Prolimatech Megahalen (a quiet middle weight that punches with the heavy weights)

9. Scythe Mugen 2 (one bit cooler with a lot of fin area)

10. Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (embedded 120mm fan - equivalent to the Noctua NH-D14)

11. Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (not always the best but always one of the best - the best support in the industry, by far)

12. Thermolab BARAM

13. Thermolab BADA (a 92mm fan cooler better and quieter than most towers - can almost keep up with the Prolimatech Megahalen)

14. Thermalright HR-01+ (wide fin spacing, low impedance, one of the best with slow fans or no fans)

(Note, some of the above may need special mounting kits for 1156 sockets)

ces

Possible Cooling Solutions - Passive or Near Passive (in no particular order)

1. Thermalright HR-01+ (wide fin spacing, low impedance, one of the best with slow fans or no fans)

2. Scythe Ninja

3. Scythe Orochi (most impressive looking passive heat sink)

4. Noctua NH-D14

Last edited by ces on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Possible Cooling Solutions - Special Mention (in no particular order)

1. Stock Cooler (For most people the stock cooler works just fine. Though if you are in this forum, it is likely that the stock cooler will not meet your actual or your perceived needs.)

2. Scythe Katana 3 (small, quiet, cheap, cools motherboard)

3. CoolIT Domino ALC (a popular pre-packaged water cooler kit)

4. Corsair Hydro H50 (a popular pre-packaged water cooler kit)

5. Custom water cooling (Feser apparently has a reputation for designing its heat sinks to be quiet)

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:10 am

Possible Cooling Solutions - Low Height and/or Top Downs (in no particular order)

1. Noctua NH-C12P SE14 (one of the best top downs - the best support in the industry, by far)

2. Coolermaster GeminII S (88mm high) (one of the best top downs)

3. Scythe Zipang II (105mm high) (a 140mm fan low noise low height top down)

4. Scythe Grand Kama Cross (130mm high)(a 140mm fan low height top down)

5. Glacialtech Igloo 5750 Silent (122mm high) (low noise top down)

5. Thermalright AXP 140 (140mm fan downdraft)

6. Thermalright SI 128 (120mm fan downdraft)

7. Scythe Kabuto (a solid top down performer)

8. Silverstone NT07-775 (36mm) (how low can you go?)

9. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 LP (48mm)

10. Scythe Big Shuriken (57mm high)(a 120mm fan low noise low height top down that is lower and wider than the Scythe Shuriken but does it with a thinner fin array than the Scythe Shuriken)

11. Scythe Shuriken (65mm high)(a 100mm fan low noise low height top down that performs both better and quieter than the Big Shuriken - it has a thicker fin array)

12. Zalman CNPS8700 (66mm high) (low height and performs reasonably well when set at low)

13. Akasa AK-961 (71mm high)

Low Height Non-Top Downs

1. Scythe Mini-Ninja ("Minja")

2. Thermolab BADA (a 92mm fan cooler better and quieter than most towers - can almost keep up with the Prolimatech Megahalen) (136mm high)

3. Noctua NH-U9B SE2

4. 3Rsystem Iceage 80 Prima Mini (104mm high) (low noise tower)

chode

Post by chode » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Is asking a related question in this thread considered thread hijacking? If not..

I'm getting a Core i7 cpu, possibly the 920 version. I do not want to overclock it. I want it to be stable, and quiet. If it can be stable and not idle at very high temperatures so I can rest easy at night, that would be a bonus too. Price isn't a concern. So far I have heard mentioned a few times:

a) Noctua D14
b) Megalehem
c) Thermalright HR-01 plus

What would suit me? Again, my priorities are stability and low noise level (I sit about 6 feet away from the computer, which is a benefit in terms of noise), and I don't want my CPU to be burning hot. No planned overclocking.

thanks

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

chode wrote:I'm getting a Core i7 cpu, possibly the 920 version. I do not want to overclock it. I want it to be stable, and quiet. If it can be stable and not idle at very high temperatures so I can rest easy at night, that would be a bonus too. Price isn't a concern. So far I have heard mentioned a few times:
a) Noctua D14
b) Megalehem
What would suit me? Again, my priorities are stability and low noise level (I sit about 6 feet away from the computer, which is a benefit in terms of noise), and I don't want my CPU to be burning hot. No planned overclocking. thanks
a) Noctua D14 (best cooler but the loudest - replace the stock fans with two Nexus fans maybe even try a single Akasa Apache PWM)

b) Megalehem (almost as good as the D14 but quieter, try using an Akasa Apache PWM - when not under load it will only run at 500rpm)

c) Thermalright HR-01 plus (almost as good as the Megalehem - actually with a 500 rpm fan it is equal to the Megalehem - because of its loose fins its performance doesn't improve as quickly when the fan speed is turned up - I would try the new Scythe slipstream PWM fan) You will need to buy a separate mounting kit for the 1366 socket.

If you use the Thermalright HR-01 plus air duct (the red is the short one the blue is the long one) and use it to duct in air from your case fan into the HR-01 you will get a 15C cooling boost and do it with one less fan. It is designed to specifically clip on to the HR-Fin array.

Such a setup might outperform both of the above as long as you aren't overclocking. This is because of the 15C (approximate difference in temp between inside and outside your case) advantage over the other two it gets from using outside air.

You won't make a mistake with any of these three. You might also want to consider the Thermalright Venemous X, another supercooler.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
** NEW *** Scythe "SLIP-STREAM PWM" 120mm Case Fan - Sleeved $9.95 Model: SY1225SL12LM-P
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26797
Air flow remains strong at lower rpm due to the small center hub design, yet adding the PWM function for automatic fan regulation to introduce an ideal fan in today’s market. In order to take advantage of PWM function, please use the motherboard PWM header to power the fan.

Part Number / RPM / Noise Level / Air Flow / MTBF / Rated Current / Weight
SY1225SL12LM-P Sleeve Bearing / 0 (+200rpm) ~ 1300 ± 10% / 0 ~ 26.50 dB / 0 ~ 74.25 CFM / 30000hrs / 0.18A / 3.78 oz / 117g

chode

Post by chode » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

ces wrote:
chode wrote:I'm getting a Core i7 cpu, possibly the 920 version. I do not want to overclock it. I want it to be stable, and quiet. If it can be stable and not idle at very high temperatures so I can rest easy at night, that would be a bonus too. Price isn't a concern. So far I have heard mentioned a few times:
a) Noctua D14
b) Megalehem
What would suit me? Again, my priorities are stability and low noise level (I sit about 6 feet away from the computer, which is a benefit in terms of noise), and I don't want my CPU to be burning hot. No planned overclocking. thanks
a) Noctua D14 (best cooler but the loudest - replace the stock fans with two Nexus fans maybe even try a single Akasa Apache PWM)

b) Megalehem (almost as good as the D14 but quieter, try using an Akasa Apache PWM - when not under load it will only run at 500rpm)

c) Thermalright HR-01 plus (almost as good as the Megalehem - actually with a 500 rpm fan it is equal to the Megalehem - because of its loose fins its performance doesn't improve as quickly when the fan speed is turned up - I would try the new Scythe slipstream PWM fan) You will need to buy a separate mounting kit for the 1366 socket.

If you use the Thermalright HR-01 plus air duct (the red is the short one the blue is the long one) and use it to duct in air from your case fan into the HR-01 you will get a 15C cooling boost and do it with one less fan. It is designed to specifically clip on to the HR-Fin array.

Such a setup might outperform both of the above as long as you aren't overclocking. This is because of the 15C (approximate difference in temp between inside and outside your case) advantage over the other two it gets from using outside air.

You won't make a mistake with any of these three. You might also want to consider the Thermalright Venemous X, another supercooler.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
** NEW *** Scythe "SLIP-STREAM PWM" 120mm Case Fan - Sleeved $9.95 Model: SY1225SL12LM-P
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26797
Air flow remains strong at lower rpm due to the small center hub design, yet adding the PWM function for automatic fan regulation to introduce an ideal fan in today’s market. In order to take advantage of PWM function, please use the motherboard PWM header to power the fan.

Part Number / RPM / Noise Level / Air Flow / MTBF / Rated Current / Weight
SY1225SL12LM-P Sleeve Bearing / 0 (+200rpm) ~ 1300 ± 10% / 0 ~ 26.50 dB / 0 ~ 74.25 CFM / 30000hrs / 0.18A / 3.78 oz / 117g
Thank you for your help. I guess I just need to be told which one to get, I'm having difficulty choosing between those options. A Noctua D14 with Nexus fans, or the HR-01 with an air duct (something I have never done before) seems to be the two choices here? How much better does the noctua cool the cpu? How much quieter is the hr-01?

Once again, thank you for responding.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 pm

chode wrote:Thank you for your help. I guess I just need to be told which one to get, I'm having difficulty choosing between those options. A Noctua D14 with Nexus fans, or the HR-01 with an air duct (something I have never done before) seems to be the two choices here? How much better does the noctua cool the cpu? How much quieter is the hr-01?
You are asking for information that doesn't exist with that much precision. The relative performance of these heatsinks vary even when they are tested with the same benchmarks.

I think the Noctua is overkill. It's to big for my liking.

I am partial to the HR-01. Unless you are overclocking it can handle anything you will throw at it. And because of the looser fins it is inherently quiet. With a 500 rpm fan it cools just as well as the Megahalam.

You can even run it without a fan. It was originally designed to run fanless.

It's conceivable it could run at 70C without a fan. If it tests out in your situation to be able to do that, that should let you sleep easy. It will work even with a fan failure.

What case are you putting it into?

dev

Post by dev » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:51 am

I wouldn't recommend the HR-01+ for an i7. Its an ok heatsink, I've owned one, works good with 2 fans but loses ground at higher TDPs.

The Megahalems or the Venomous X are the best choice if you don't want something NH-D14 big. They all work great with fans bellow 1000 rpm. At current prices, in Europe, the Megahalems is a steal.

chode

Post by chode » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:58 am

ces wrote:
chode wrote:Thank you for your help. I guess I just need to be told which one to get, I'm having difficulty choosing between those options. A Noctua D14 with Nexus fans, or the HR-01 with an air duct (something I have never done before) seems to be the two choices here? How much better does the noctua cool the cpu? How much quieter is the hr-01?
You are asking for information that doesn't exist with that much precision. The relative performance of these heatsinks vary even when they are tested with the same benchmarks.

I think the Noctua is overkill. It's to big for my liking.

I am partial to the HR-01. Unless you are overclocking it can handle anything you will throw at it. And because of the looser fins it is inherently quiet. With a 500 rpm fan it cools just as well as the Megahalam.

You can even run it without a fan. It was originally designed to run fanless.

It's conceivable it could run at 70C without a fan. If it tests out in your situation to be able to do that, that should let you sleep easy. It will work even with a fan failure.

What case are you putting it into?
I purchased this case a while ago and I don't remember the exact name.. I think its a P-182?

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 am

chode wrote:I purchased this case a while ago and I don't remember the exact name.. I think its a P-182?
What CPU are you cooling? How much of a thermal load is the cooler going to have to handle?

chode

Post by chode » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 am

ces wrote:
chode wrote:I purchased this case a while ago and I don't remember the exact name.. I think its a P-182?
What CPU are you cooling? How much of a thermal load is the cooler going to have to handle?
A core i7-920 or less likely an i7-960.

Koolpc

Post by Koolpc » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:07 am

dev wrote:I wouldn't recommend the HR-01+ for an i7. Its an ok heatsink, I've owned one, works good with 2 fans but loses ground at higher TDPs.

The Megahalems or the Venomous X are the best choice if you don't want something NH-D14 big. They all work great with fans bellow 1000 rpm. At current prices, in Europe, the Megahalems is a steal.
Awesome help. Nice and simple too. Looking around the net those 2 come highly recommended.

Cheers :D

ces

Post by ces » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

chode wrote:A core i7-920 or less likely an i7-960.
Dev, what do you think?

1. What CPU(s) did you use? With what fans?

2. How may degrees C did your HR-01 plus trail the other coolers you used. What are the other coolers you used?

3. Do you think adding outside air channeled in with the Thermalright Duct might still enable it to handle the thermal load of i7-960? That air would likely be 15C cooler than the air in the case that the other coolers would be using.

4. How many degrees C of difference did the second fan on the HR-01 make in your situation? Is it even worth doing on the HR-01. It seems like the fins are so widely spaced, and the fin array is to narrow, that the improvement in performance from a second fan might be limited.