Quietest way to cool an XP1700?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

a900ss

Quietest way to cool an XP1700?

Post by a900ss » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:51 am

I have an AMD XP 1700 that seems VERY noisy. It is all coming from the standard HSF that is fitted, a coolermaster but do not know which model.

What is the quietest way to cool this CPU?

Please recommend a HS and a seperate fan that will fit that HS. I have read reports that some fans can run at 7V, some at 5V. Is this just a case of flicking a switch? Do they come at different voltages? Please advise, I am a newbie but the noise is really annoying me.

Thanks

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:55 am

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... eze+falcon

Get yourself a Panaflo/Vantec Stealth

Total price you're looking @ $25

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:56 am

Of course you need some Arctic Silver III CPU Goop.

JSealy00

Post by JSealy00 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:31 am

I would recommend the Volcano 9: http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAs ... gno=HS-008

It has variable fan speed and is fairly cheap at 20 bucks and is one big hunk of metal:-)

But of course....if you want "the" quietest way to cool it, that would probably be water cooling with some giant passively cooled radiator....

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:51 am

I have the Speeze with a Steath on my AMD 2k+ and it is very quiet. But not quiet enough as I will be replacing the Stealth with a Panaflo later this week.

It FalconRocks!!

Er...

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Quietest way to cool an XP1700?

Post by aphonos » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:02 pm

a900ss wrote:I have an AMD XP 1700 that seems VERY noisy. It is all coming from the standard HSF that is fitted, a coolermaster but do not know which model.

What is the quietest way to cool this CPU?

Please recommend a HS and a seperate fan that will fit that HS. I have read reports that some fans can run at 7V, some at 5V. Is this just a case of flicking a switch? Do they come at different voltages? Please advise, I am a newbie but the noise is really annoying me.

Thanks
Have you read the Recommend Fans and the Recommended Heatsinks sections? You should be able to make a determination on a good fan & HS combo for your CPU from the information there. There is also some info on undervolting fans in the Recommended fans page. You will likely want to read the articles and reviews in the Fans & Control section of the main site for more info on undervolting fans and on some of the fan controller options on the market. :)

EDIT: The Speeze mentioned above looks like a good option, but you will definately want to replace the fan with a quieter model.

I would search the forums on volcano before going that route. IIRC, there are a number of folks who have been disappointed with both the heatsink and/or the fan on those products.
Last edited by aphonos on Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:07 pm

Just don't get a Volcano 5.......................................

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:36 am

I'm sure there'll be as many recommendations as there successful tweakers out there :)

I've had somewhat successful set up with a Papst 120mm fan + 120->80 mm adapter + SLK-800 heatsink + Arctic Silver III thermal paste.

Much less noisy and much cooler than with any 80mm fan I tried it with.

YMMV, of course.

regards,
Halcyon

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:39 am

halcyon wrote:I'm sure there'll be as many recommendations as there successful tweakers out there :)

I've had somewhat successful set up with a Papst 120mm fan + 120->80 mm adapter + SLK-800 heatsink + Arctic Silver III thermal paste.

Much less noisy and much cooler than with any 80mm fan I tried it with.

YMMV, of course.

regards,
Halcyon
And with FanMate or similar, right?

Jan

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:33 am

Your Mileage May Vary

LMAO = Laugh my ass Off (at least where I come from ;))

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:05 am

Yes, I also have a fan controller. It's PWM though and had a tendency to make my Papst tick at lower RPM. I've now changed the fan for a Panaflo (less subjective noise at low voltage, more at high voltage).

I had to do a manual tweak to the plastic fan adapter. I basically cut holes in it for the metal straps that come with SLK-800. I finished the contact with some superglue. Not a pretty sight, but I don't mod for visual pleasure and don't have a see through panel on my pc.

regards,
Halcyon

fractal

Post by fractal » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:54 pm

I always recommend the svc cg68 for anyone needing a quiet hsf for an xp1800+ or slower. Best durned 5 dollar hsf you can buy. Cost you 10 bucks if you get it with a l1a though for first round quieting, I wouldn't bother. The fan that comes with it for 5 bucks is so much quieter than retail hsf that you will need to do lotsa work on your system before that fan becomes a factor.

You can spend more if you like, but for five dollars ... It will get you 99% of the way. The next .9% will cost you 25x as much. You can also spend far more and come up with far less..

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:26 am

You might also want to look at the Glacialtech Igloo Silent Breeze HSF. The thing is quite silent on my 1700+. It was a temendous difference from a Globalwin HSF with 60mm fan or the stock AMD HSF. Faily cheap, too - about $20.

Cheers,
RDaneel

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:58 am

I glued the metal straps that come off the SLK-800 into the fan adapter. I can still remove them with a solvent.

I have not glued the adapter straight on the heatsink itself.

Sorry for no pictures, but this is my only computer and I don't want to disassemble it for pics now.

As for comparison. I achieved at least 5-7 degrees decrease in load temps on the CPU, a decrease on the mb (case temp, which is somewhere near and benefits from the additional air flow) and also a very significant subjective decrease in noise, when the fan is at minimum (which makes the CPU go to almost 60 degrees centigrade under load, but the noise is very low).

Sorry I don't have any better recollection and exact figures and I'd rather not put the old 80mm fan back there anymore.

For me, it was a clear win-win: less heat (with mid to full fan power) and less noise (at low to mid fan power).

regards,
Halcyon