Zalman 92mm fan & Bracket vs. Volcano 6cu......

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dr. Smith

Zalman 92mm fan & Bracket vs. Volcano 6cu......

Post by Dr. Smith » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:20 am

I current have a xp1500 (not overclocked) being cooled by a volcano 6. The volcano is by far the loudest thing in the system. I also have one of the zalman kits in the closet (no HS, just the bracket, fan, and resistor to reduce fan speed). The volcano 6 is controlled by a zalman fan mate on full speed (11v).

My current temps at idle are ambient 27, cpu 44

Does the 92mm zalman fan put out enough air flow to cool the cpu using the volcano HS? (ie. can I just remove that horrible little 60mm fan and just use the bracket from the zalman to suspend the fan over the HS)

Thanks.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:32 am

That's a good question...

I think I would personally try removing the fan from the Volcano and have the Zalman running full-blast on it initially while I am in the BIOS monitoring my CPU temps.

If it doesn't get hotter than 55-60c, I would then attempt to put the resistor on the fan (since the Zalman w/o one is loud). I wouldn't let anything get higher than 65c.

Um, is the fan on the Volcano a 60mm? If so, you should try to get a 60mm-80mm adapter, undervolt the CPU (as far as it goes without the system hanging) and put a Panaflo L1A on it.