Interesting TT duct and ZM-80C-HP reviews

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DonP

Interesting TT duct and ZM-80C-HP reviews

Post by DonP » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:19 pm

I've just spotted pointers to these two reviews on frostytech, one for the Zalman ZM-80C-HP and the other for ThermalTake ducting mod.

What's interesting (for me at least) is that the duct doesn't help in cooling at all, but does have a positive effect on the noise of the fan. It's conceivable that it decreases turbulence near the top of the HS - nice to see this confirmed.

The ZM-80C-HP review is interesting because they installed it without the heatpipe and rear plate... and they didn't find much of a difference (at least when there was a fan blowing on the front plate). I find this pretty weird - me thinks they may have made a mistake, but if it's true then I guess it's more important than before to stick a fan blowing on the front plate.

Just FYI.

DonP.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Interesting TT duct and ZM-80C-HP reviews

Post by Tigr » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:22 am

DonP wrote: What's interesting (for me at least) is that the duct doesn't help in cooling at all, but does have a positive effect on the noise of the fan. It's conceivable that it decreases turbulence near the top of the HS - nice to see this confirmed.
Well, in my experience the DuctingMod increased the temperatures slightly. I did not notice any effect on the noise level though. They are testing with a Volcano 9 which is 75.7 CFM at 4800 rpm. I was testing with a Papst NGL which is 19 CFM at 1500 rpm. That's why my conclusion was that this thingy is only good for overclockers with a jet-engine fans.

libraryquiet

Re: Interesting TT duct and ZM-80C-HP reviews

Post by libraryquiet » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:43 pm

DonP wrote:The ZM-80C-HP review is interesting because they installed it without the heatpipe and rear plate... and they didn't find much of a difference (at least when there was a fan blowing on the front plate). I find this pretty weird - me thinks they may have made a mistake, but if it's true then I guess it's more important than before to stick a fan blowing on the front plate.
The ZM-80C-HP review would have been more interesting if they had removed the heatpipe and back heatsink in the no-fan test. I'm somewhat of a skeptic about the heat pipe concept (at least where there are so many variables as in building custom pcs), but cooling the assembly with a fan may reduce the temperature below the effective threshold for the heatpipe.

josephclemente

Half a Zalman ZM80

Post by josephclemente » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:05 pm

I noticed the review as well, found it pretty interesting because I'm using mine in a Shuttle XPC. Removing the backside heatsink means I can use the PCI slot again.

I'm running a Radeon 9600 Pro, which runs pretty cool and the full Zalman is overkill for this card anyway. I don't have any fan on the Zalman, but I have a meshed opening on the side of the XPC and negative pressure pulls air in from that side. Runs fine in my setup...

The reviewer was using a GeForce FX5600 GPU - I'm not familiar with that one. Does anyone know how much heat it produces compared to ATI chips?

Post by 1398342003 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:17 pm

Here's a review where they removed the backside sink and the heatpipe.
http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.ph ... e&sid=1103